back to article NASA sat snaps LA wildfire

NASA's Terra satellite has captured a dramatic image of the Los Angeles "Station Fire" wildfire. It is one of at least seven conflagrations currently affecting California, which by yesterday had reportedly laid waste to over 133,000 acres and consumed 80 buildings. NASA's Terra images of the California fires NASA explains …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

oi scamp, get on yahoo

I need to talk to you about stu [-]

2. FreeTard
    Joke

The Yanks....

...contribute even more to global warming...

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Down

LA from space...

Looks as horrible as it does at sea level.

What a truly awful place it is.

4. Jesse Dorland
    Unhappy

Sad

I was in LA last week. I would hate to see the city go down like that.

5. Yorkshirepudding
    Coat

welcome to the jungle baby

your gonna fry!!!!!

mines the one lined with asbestos

6. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Dead Vulture

Anything the Americans can do...

A similar image from the wonder Miravi service from ESA (warning 3 MB JPG)

http://mrrs-ks.eo.esa.int/mrrs/images/2009/08/29/MER_FR__0PNPAS20090829_181827_000001962082_00070_39202_1028.N1_4A99EC1A_image_0260.jpg

Miravi has the advantage of providing images in near real time around the world. Pity they haven't got round to wrapping it in any kind of nice service so you can just enter a location and get pictures from the area around it. Probably the reason why it gets so little public attention. When the German telly was covering the Athens' fires they resorted to the cheesy Google Earth to zoom in on the area around Athens but, "look, no clouds".

7. Andrew Williams
    Pint

Odd...

Here's a NASA satellite pic of a fire that's rather close to JPL, NASA's west coast hub. How close is the fire to that?

Knowing JPL, they might not have noticed the world or its troubles all that much... :P

8. Chris iverson
    Grenade

@Winkypop

And LA doesn't want you either

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@ Charlie Clark

dipstick try puting long url's through tiny .com then we might be able to use them.

10. Mart 2
    Flame

@ Charlie Clark

I managed, but for those that can't

http://tinyurl.com/lcs63l

meh, it's always these US City's getting burned to the ground, you wouldn't have this sort of thing happening in London....

11. Stevie

Bah!

"Pyrocumulus clouds????!!!!"

My Firefox spellchecker -a-n-n-o-y-a-n-c-e- tool can't find that one.

Must be Californi-ese for "smoke".

12. Frank Bough

What's so tricky...

...about using long URLs again?

13. jake Silver badge

Los Angeles is in no danger.

It's not LA that's burning, the "LA fire" is in the mostly uninhabited San Gabriel Mountains, and moving AWAY from Los Angeles, and unlikely to get within about ten miles of LA proper. For a tech site, I'm quite surprised that there is no mention of the largish telescope and huge array of telecommunications kit up on Mount Wilson that is in actual danger ...

The large housing loss in the state mostly occurred in Auburn, in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada range, North East of Sacramento, where a wild fire ripped thru' a housing development. That's what happens when you don't clear a defendable space around your home in the mostly arid desert that is California ... Or when you build a bunch of McMansions on postage stamp sized lots.

14. Michael Greenhill

Come to Australia

Wildfire shmildfire. The yank firefighters can come to Australia and learn how to fight real bushfires.

15. Simon B
    Coat

Cannabis leaf fire!!!

The image very much resembles the shape of a Cannabis leaf ! Quck, lets flog it on ebay!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like