back to article Home Office publishes bold do-nothing initiative

The Home Office's approach to mobile payment security parrots exactly what the industry is already doing: publishing guidelines for a technology that nobody wants or ever intends to use. Never let it be said that the UK Home Office doesn't move quickly: contactless payments from mobile phones have been dead in the water for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete 2 Silver badge

wish they'd do this more often

not issue pointless guidelines for obsolete technologies, but literally: do nothing.

The government has been on holiday for the past month or two and will be for another month - or two. Has this lack of leadership caused any problems? No. Has anyone really, actually, noticed? Again, no. What would happen if they stayed on their (or other people's) yachts indefinitely? Probably nothing.

With over 5,500 statutes on the books (dating back over 800 years) we've got enough laws, thank you very much - we don't need any more. Government policies are many and diverse: it's just a case of selecting the one(s) that apply to any given situation, so that can be left to the paper-pushers to apply. Foreign policy - well for years that's been a mixture of doing bugger all and when that doesn't work, doing exactly what the americans tell us to - so that's covered, too.

Otherwise we're left with a bunch of self-interested individuals who do the pundit circuit: getting fawned over on breakfast telly, shouted at by Paxo and made a mockery of by the entire population - do we really need that?

In fact, the only real job of parliament is to raise (as in: increase) taxes. Personally. I'd be quite happy if they stopped doing that, too.

2. reaper
    Unhappy

Sigh...

It's reports like this that give answers to the question we'll all be asking in a year's time: "Where did all the money go?"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They seem

They seem to use Contactless tech all over the place in Japan I remember sitting amazed when someone paid for their ticket on the shinkansen using the technology.

How backwards we are T_T

4. Phil A

London transport

I'm guessing AC@1742 hasn't been to London in the last 5 years or so - contactless payments have been the norm on buses and the Underground since 2003.

Actually, I can't see the point in using a phone as a payment method - I'm more likely to go out without my phone than without my wallet at the moment. This might change if things ever get to the stage where I know for certain that every payment I make is going to be contactless but for the moment, I'll stick to having a big bulge in my trousers...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like