back to article It's Open Season on open source

The market heard your late-night cries so full of despair and longing. Then, the market responded. Welcome to Episode 1 of Open Season - the freshest of Meat Casts dedicated to open source software and related technology. With Open Season, you get a nasally but passionate host - me - and some guys who actually know what they're …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Greg Nelson

Subtext

I've way too much time on my hands. I listened to the whole thing. I began lurking around various Open Source sites in 1998 and continue to lurk to this day. I thought a subtext of the conversation was much more interesting than the rehashing of the ethics and morals of Open Source versus closed source. It was interesting to hear the business savy of the participants. The licensing issues are perpetually being rehashed in one forum or another and the maneuverings of predatory companies like Microsoft and Google are well documented, but it's good to see Open Source people are quickly and efficiently 'groking' the workings of the business world. Faster nervous systems eat slower nervous systems and the fewer barriers to information transfer that underlies FOSS stuff will produce both the products and the people necessary to make it work.

2. Nikolaj Baer

refreshing

To all the guys on the show... Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. I am developing several ugc sites I know are going to bomb (one youtube is enough) and I am so sick of hearing about all this web 2.0 crap, stuff we have seen before.. and I have only been out of school for 4 years! I hope to hear more of your insightful commentary, healthy cynicism, and honest condemnations... oh, and I don't trust google either.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Podcast

It might be a bit early days but are you considering an RSS feed for iTunes to hang off?

4. Ashlee Vance (Written by Reg staff)

Podcast Thing

Yep, feed is http://www.theregister.com/software/open_season/podcast.rss

I'll be slotting an iTunes direct link in this story page and future story pages just as soon as iTunes approves my RSS feed. Had to get first show up and then it usually takes them a couple days to approve from there.

You can find our hardware show Semi-Coherent Computing on iTunes now and subscribe to it. http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=261007462

AV

www.theduckrabbit.com

5. Grifter

Since it's about open source...

Maybe there could be an ogg/vorbis offering for future releases?

6. David Greaves

Interesting and enjoyable

I look forward to the next instalment :)

You mentioned some services that may be interesting - maybe you could expand on the state of play around trust and identity in open source and standards? The whole Passport vs Liberty Alliance seems to have gone quiet; and of course the ever present spam problem seems to be a trust/identity issue at heart.

Services that addressed these issues successfully would, I feel, truly be worthy of Web 2.0 tags.

7. steev

Great show

Keep 'em coming. That was great!

8. Martin Peacock

Great Meat

Just got around to listening to the 'cast. Good stuff - I'm looking forward to the next installment.

One point I would disagree with is the assertion that a $10m revenue is not sufficient for IPO. That may well be true if the IPO is for NASDAQ, NYSE et al but there are plenty of smaller exchanges where smaller revenues may well be welcomed.

Interesting comments around the topic of IPOs (or indeed buyouts) changing the culture of OSS companies. While the T&Cs of such transactions are somewhat focussed on the rules of the relevant authorities/exchange, surely there is plenty of room in the shareholder agreements to protect the OSS culture whoever happens to own the shares - a kind of GPL of shareholder agreements?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like