back to article Home Office coughs to larger data loss

The Home Office has admitted to losing a quarter of a million more records than it originally thought. The figure is revealed in its Resource Accounts for 2008-2009. PA Consulting lost a memory stick last September, which was originally reported to contain details on 127,000 people. In fact the stick, which remains lost, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

And these are the people we want to trust

with our personal data (ID Cards et al)

2. Adam Salisbury
    FAIL

This is why...

This is exactly why I'm not trusting those retarded pukes with my shopping list let alone biometric identity data.Worryingly it is entirely unsurprising that an incomptent, useless and probably corrupt contracter gets to carry on skimming off tax money for failure. In any other business they'd have been cut loose and fed to the sharks.

NuLabour - Mastering The Fail!

3. David Hicks
    Big Brother

For Fuck's Sake

And yet they expect to be trusted with ALL our personal details for the uber-database.

Right.

4. Hashem

PA Loses records, paid loads, allowed to work on national ID

.... Something is wrong with this picture:

The department paid PA £24.5m last year - up from £8.4m the year before - thanks to increased work on the National Identity Scam Scheme and the Interception Modernisation Programme.

Yeah! They have a great track record of keeping our data safe, we better give them more money to work on other highly sensitive contracts...

Not AC because if someone is going to give out my personal information, it might as well be me.

5. g e

I love the smell of irony in the morning

They can find that stuff is missing

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Pint

Home Office data loss news?

Must be a "Y" in the day or something.

F-R-I-D-A-Y, ah, there it is. Thought so.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I WANT to go on the database..........

........Because lets face it, they will lose your details anyway. Tossers! Epic-fucking-fail!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Vast resources wasted on these companies when...

...the outcome of the online petition to rescue Bletchley Park (available at http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page20409) says the Government has no resources to assist and just puffs on about who has offered money.

This lame duck Government needs to go and I shall certainly be helping that along next May.

9. Bilgepipe
    Thumb Down

Data Protection Act

"PA lost that contract over the screw-up"

Presumably they were also prosecuted under the Data Protection Act for losing this data?

"but it remains the Home Office's favourite consultancy. The department paid PA £24.5m last year - up from £8.4m the year before - thanks to increased work on the National Identity Scheme and the Interception Modernisation Programme, Kable notes."

Ahh, that'll be a No, then.

10. Pascal Monett Silver badge

We need a counter

On stories like this, I'd like to see a counter tallying the number of people whose personal details have already been exposed. You know, like "IDs Exposed : 1 257 486 000" in big black lettering.

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

You're all missing the point

Its a job creation scheme for lawyers, the police, security consultants etc. You know, just like the increased taxes to fund military spending required to defeat terrorists the government has created by its actions.

Its called the Parable of the broken window, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window

Guaranteed to keep people doing non-productive work for ever.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

89 page pdf...

89 pages to say woops we lied it was 250.00 more.... Thats goverment effencicy for you.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like