back to article Dell sees 'stability,' not growth

Dell sees stability returning to the PC market during its fiscal second quarter, but not a lot of growth. Weak technology spending sank Dell's revenue across all major business units compared to the same period ended July 31 last year. Dell's revenues totaled $12.76bn in its fiscal second quarter, down 22 per cent from the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

So?

They still made a crap load of money!!! If the freaking stock market worked, and these guys paid sufficient dividends, then shareholders would still be smiling. But god sakes, some company doesn't constantly have revenue increases, even in a saturated market and its dead. And economists are still trying to figure out why bubbles happen...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Why the need to lay off people

Why the need to lay people off if they are still making plenty of cash.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it's because

Windows 7 is coming out soon, Dell only sell desktops with shitty Vista on. Who the fuck would buy a load of PCs right now? Never mind about the "free" upgrade offers, I wouldn't use an upgraded operating system if you paid me.

I guess that's what happens when a PC manufacturer ties itself onto Microsoft.

4. Myopic Aardvark
    Happy

So long as they survive...

for another 10 days, then I'll have my shiny new Alienware to play around with.

*giggles like a lunatic*

5. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Why predict 2010 revenue upswing

Could it be that they are praying that corporates will adopt Windows 7?

That customers will suddenly discover the 4-5 year old PCs that have been happily running stable versions of XP Pro won't run W7. Perhaps because things like graphics drivers, etc. won't be supported by the new OS - forcing customers to upgrade.

Then Dell might at last benefit from the bumper harvest that MS promised from Vista!

They'll need to get money from PC replacements because Virtualization is tearing the backside out of server sales - why buy 40 new servers when one will do. IDC 2008 report suggests growth in new server sales will drop to 6.6 per annum while virtual machine instances will see compound annual growth in excess of 72%. This will also cut Dells forward support and service revenues.

By the way answer to the early question re: layoffs. The reason they're laying people off is they will be punished by Wall St if they don't cut costs. No such thing as caring capitalism mate.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would never buy a Dell...

....based on one thing and one thing alone - their latest UK advert is among the most annoying ads that I have ever seen. Really, if I wanted a laptop which had been built in a Wonka-style sweet factory then I'd go and ask Charlie Bucket where to find one.

Actually, I've always hated Dell kit, back from their early desktops right up to the latest incarnation of laptops.

7. Jesse Dorland
    Linux

Orwell gone Wild

If Computers' manufactures are so confident about the upcoming sale with Windows 7, than how come they are offering Windows XP downgrade with business notebooks?

Another word, if you’re standing on a wetland, and you’re not sinking fast enough than it can be stability.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like