back to article Mininova flattened by Dutch court

A civil court has ordered Pirate Bay rival Mininova to carpet bomb all "infringing" BitTorrent files held on its servers within the next three months or face a fine of up to €5m ($7.16m). Dutch-based pro-copyright lobby group Stichting Brein, which recently took aim at TPB’s operations, brought the lawsuit against Mininova. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Pyrrhic victory for the wrongholders.

Deleted today, restored tomorrow.

The internet sees attempts from old-media to own content as damage and routes around it.

2. Mectron

Looks like

Infiltration of goverments by extremly dangerous proven criminal organisations (Mainly the MPAA/.RIAA) is running deep.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They should do what The Pirate Bay has done..

..but go one stop further, and give instructions on how to use Google to do the same thing.

Would love to see Google given the same ultimatum.

4. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Meanwhile in Canuckland...

In an ad for Bell's internet offer, the long boring evening is saved by a youngster happily spouting "Look, I just downloaded a movie!". Much joy ensues. That is not incitation shirley, because the ad's been running for a couple month on all major TV channels, but there has been no comment from the MAFIAA yet... talk about hypocrisy.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

dont need no steenking title gringo

>Deleted today, restored tomorrow.

The internet sees attempts from old-media to own content as damage and routes around it

Yup, TBP dies and theres 10 alternatives, someone look up the word hydra then get back to these guys and introduce the words 'new business model'

6. Doug Glass
    Go

@Jaowon

Aren't you going to publish it? You must know the process so since you brought it up what don't you write a little desktop procedure outlining the steps.

I mean, you know, sort of put your money where your mouth is. Kinda, sorta.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good news

The more scum that gets punished for facilitating priacy, the better. They can run but they can't hide. The judicial system is not going to allow the theft or illegal distribution of copyright protected works without punishing as many criminals as possible. That's good news for society and bad news for pirates.

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Whack a Torrent

This has fail written all over it...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I for one...

...has used Google Torrent Search for years and have still to find any other site that gives me an as strong search tool or as many options for files. To all you other Freetards I strongly advice using GTS (Google Torrent Search)

Http:\\www.Google.com

10. Budley.Sama
    Badgers

Re, They should do what The Pirate Bay has done

It's already been done, the pirate google is basically a search bar with filetype:torrent added to each search. I will enjoy the upcoming legal battle when/if google is asked to remove torrent files which it has no control over, it will make an interesting court case.

11. AdamW
    Pirate

@ElReg!comments!Pierre

Didnt PCworld run an ad, where the user boasts that PC world showed him how to download movies?

I was planing on going in and asking where do i download these legal movies.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google

Google's great. I put in the name of a band or album and "rapidshare" or "hotfile" and within seconds I'm ready to download.

Let's see if they have the balls to sue Google.

13. JetSetJim
    Go

@AdamW - legal movie downloads

Some Blu-Ray titles are coming with a "key" to d/l a SD version of the film for your viewing pleasure as some form of enhanced product offering.

14. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

Do not feed the trolls...

> The more scum that gets punished for facilitating priacy, the better. They can run but they can't hide.

Maybe you should go back to school and learn to spell...

> The judicial system is not going to allow the theft or illegal distribution of copyright protected works

Nobody STOLE anything. To steal it you would need to claim copyright on it. Nobody has done so.

> without punishing as many criminals as possible.

Erm... so basicaly they shouldn't be punished for doing this?

> That's good news for society and bad news for

> pirates.

Bad news for society sadly. A monopoly on creative works is really the worst of the worst. Luckily there's a TON of people who actually want to do good for society and create things for nothing:

http://www.jamendo.com/ <-- for a lot of music

http://www.gutenberg.org/ <-- public domain works

http://www.archive.org/ <-- a lot of freely available works

Have fun trolling someone else.

15. Richard 22
    Thumb Down

@AdamW

>I was planing on going in and asking where do i download these legal movies

Ever heard of that little-known iTunes store? Yes they do movies too (not sure what the choice is like as I've never used it, but they definitely do them)

16. Toastan Buttar
    Grenade

Gotta love that name

Dubbelboer. Hope he doesn't shoot his mouth off.

17. Shakje

@JetSetJim

So, you can buy a film, and have the option to download the same film onto your PC instead of watching it on your TV. And presumably it's crawling with DRM?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

Talking of failures, Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik, your absurd reasoning is the exact reason law abiding citizens that pay your dole and benefits detest your types. You think the world and all the people who spend their life creating, inventing and discovering things (such as music) should be forced to hand it over for free to lazy oiks like you.

Hey honey, we dont all live off the benefit systems, somebody has to fill up the trough that you so pleasantly drink from.

Why should film creators/actors/musicians/etc give away all their work to twonks like you? Do you know that actors are actually real people? I know its hard to grasp honey, but yes, behind that movie actor is a real life human! Remarkable I know, but it is true. These 'humans' also need to eat, and sleep somewhere, sometimes they need healthcare and other such things - these do not come for free in this world. These people need to be paid for their work, just like one day when you are old enough to have a job, you might also like the idea of not doing a 10 hour day for nothing.

Go grow up, get a life and work out what your really asking for caveman!

If you really believe that everyone should be entitled to everything for free, then drop a new note here with your address and we will come help ourselves to your stuff that you think we can all have for free, improving your life no end I am sure.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But....

How am I going to get my TopGear and Doctor Who fixes?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Denial has never changed law

People can whine all day long but denial has never changed the law or prosecution. Ask TPB boys.

21. Lu

Fucking trolls

Love the way the trolls always post as AC. Lots of strong opinions, but too scared to give a name, or even a psuedonym (see "Good News" and "@Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik #")

To get back on topic

Why are these guys wasting their tax payers money? If I was Dutch, I'd be most unimpressed.

22. Alex Walsh

@ AC 12:27

You'll get your Doctor Who fix by either watching BBC3 or, and bear with me as this is a strange one, by buying the series that you've funded through your license fee on DVD.

No wonder people torrent TV :/

23. bexley

Google does not host a tracker

As much as i would like to spout out the usual "But google does the same thing" i cant.

Google does not have a tracker, it merely links you to other websites that host .torrent files.

If you search for a torrent in google it will show you links to mininova, thepiratebay, sumo etc..

Remove those "top sites" and google wont find any torrents for you. Google is not actually hosting .torrent files and crucially is not providing a tracker server.

So let's just stop going on about how google is just as bad.

None of this really matter's because only torrenting n00bs use these public trackers since they have so much malware and fake files on them and attract so much negative attention from the authorities and media who seem hellbent on locking everyone up.

The real issue for the anti piracy people is the vast network of invite only private trackers. Many of which are secretive in nature and maintain small user bases to avoid detection.

Shutdown mininova and TBP if you wish, the serious stuff goes on behind closed doors.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too bad for pirates

Those in denial think that law abiding citizens who support the prosecution of pirates are trolls. Thankfully the courts agree the law abiding citizens and continue to prosecute pirates. Reality bites those in denial in the arse.

25. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Can the trolls please stop?

Can we please decide that anyone referring to copyright infringers as "pirates" needs to be repeatedly kicked in the nads? It's a tad irritating. Why not "rapists" while you're at it? Or "mass murderers"? Pirates are awesome anyway. And totally kicking the ninjas collective ass should a confrontation occur.

26. Scott Lamb
    FAIL

jeez, could they get more obvious?

Hey, anonymous anti-piracy / pro-prosecution trolls:

We know you're paid lackeys, astroturfing for big business.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Denial won't save pirates

You can run, whine and cry in prison, but if you pirate you pay the price.

28. Remy Redert

@The anti-piracy trolls

Happily sitting here downloading anime and movies all day long and doing so without any risk whatsoever of legal retribution. Many of the major anime studios do not go after fan subbers until they are almost ready to release their own translations and since the vast majority of fan subbers will stop distrubition when asked to, there's really no legal troubles there at all.

Secondly because downloading music and movies, even copyright ones to which I do not have a license is legal here. Distributing those things is ofcourse illegal.

29. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@anti piracy trolls also

Do your employers really think that trolling on forums actually changes anyone's opinion of them or just helps people realize that they have so much cash to waste that they can pay trolls.

You could release your work for free and still get paid with advertising but you refuse to do this. You could allow people to download what they want for a fixed fee per month but you refuse to do this too.

The world has moved on yet you still refuse to move with it. There's a whole generation of people that's used to watching what they want when they want it.

This topic is closed for new posts.