back to article Electric motorcycle world championships planned

The single lap TTxGP race for leccy bikes that took place as part of the Isle of Man TT battle back in June has proven to be the snowball before the avalanche. AgniBike_TTxGP TTxGP's promoter is planning 12 e-bike races for 2010 According to TTxGP promoter Azhar Hussain, plans are underway to create a five-race …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LuMan
    Paris Hilton

Cool

I'm looking forward to seeing this. Should be great fun.

Just one question - why does the bike in the picture look like it has a huge petrol tank??? Surely the batteries would be stowed a little lower down...</tongueCheek>

Paris, 'cos she's a bike who runs on electric input (allegedly).

2. Julian Bond
    Thumb Up

Streamlining

So will they allow real streamlining?

3. Nate H.
    Coat

I, for one...

...welcome our new electric two-wheeled overlords...

Mine's the one with SRP on the back...

4. Lionel Baden
    Thumb Up

so i guess this is the future for electric vehicles

cars just sucked at being electric

5. Steve Evans

Hmmm...

I'm not sure the sound of two wheel milkfloats is really going to have the appeal of 1000cc of ducati!

6. J 3
    Thumb Up

Very cool

The only thing that worries me, as a rider, is that these bikes are so silent... It's already easy enough to be not seen when the engine is making noises -- my little Kawasaki is far from being loud, say compared to a Harley, but it still sounds like it's way louder than the bikes in the racing video. Oh, well, time will, as always, tell. Or we'll come up with noise makers.

7. Robert Moore
    Boffin

Been there

Done that.

Rode it to work this morning.

8. A 20

I suspect ...

... the reason they've suddenly become popular is the relatively poor performance/reliability shown by many of those TTxGP machines.

I know that if I'd had slightly more mechanical aptitude I'd probably have had a go at building one myself!

9. Ole Juul

batteries definitely included

I like the quiet, it's just so much more impressive than a bunch of noise. E-bikes also go pretty fast; like the killacycle which will do a quarter mile in 7.89 seconds or reach 174mph in the same distance - and that's on AA cells!

10. James Micallef Silver badge

I LIKE!!!

Excellent!

When do we start seeing production versions?

@luman - no idea, ideally the batteries would be put as low as possible to keep low centre of gravity, i guess in the initial models they just substituted all the components in their traditional places. Now what would be the way forward is in-wheel motor, battery sitting where the engine usually is, and still have the "tank" as storage space

@ j 3 - yes its a worry but remember cars are so well insulated these days that they anyway don't hear you until you're really close. On the plus side it would also be a bit more convenient to be able to hear something myself when I'm riding, which would help in realising when there are cars in my mirror blind spots without having to take my eyes off the road

11. Steven Jones

@Hame Micallef

The lack of noise issue is one that primarily affects pedestrians. The number of pedestrians killed in collisions with motorcycles is way out of proportion to their numbers and annual mileage. Per mile travelled, collisions with motorcycles kill 3.7 times as many pedestrians as those with cars. Making it much more difficult to hear the things seems very likely to make that worse.

This topic is closed for new posts.