back to article Sony posts 'Daily Edition' e-book reader teaser

Sony has begun teasing e-book reader buffs with a backside glance at a new version of its Reader - the 'Daily Edition'. Sony e-book Readers Sony's e-book reader range: wireless Daily Edition on its way? Update The word over the interweb from Sony's launch even is that the Daily Reader has a 7in screen, 3G connectivity and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

value for money.

You could only buy about 500 - 1000 newspapers for the cost of the device alone.

(and you can wipe your arse on them as well, best use many would say)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

£250 = way too high

Newspapers: my phone will already do it, because it has an internet connection and browser. It's not so big, but it's plenty useable and I already have it with me.

Books: phone does it too. If I want a bigger, better screen, I have plenty of books.

If it cost that much, but came with unlimited free books, it would be good value. If I have to much pay for content, it's bad value. It's a long way from ideal physically too.

One day, these things will be really thin, much bigger, and able to be folded up or otherwise stowed away conveniently, and they'll be cheap. When that happens, they'll really take over from books, papers and magazines. Until then, I reckon they're geeky toys.

3. Martin 47
    Thumb Down

I wonder if

it will just be sony who will be able to nick back the books you have bought on this, or will the retailer be able to do it as well?

4. The Indomitable Gall

But will it have...?

A wireless eInk Linux box would be something special. All it now needs is a few cunningly concealed pins connected to a USB host chipset and you would have something very special indeed.

Or...

Is SDIO a software or hardware feature? Could reflashing the device with a suitable custom distro give us an SDIO-enhanced pocket computer? And will anyone ever actually bring out an SDIO USB host adapter?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Chris9

Well my phones does those too, since 2001. But does it have a 6" screen? It is comfortable to read it under the sunlight? More importantly, can you read thousands of pages on a single charge?

Didn't think so.

Besides the big news here (that El Reg chooses to ignore), is the new software that allows users borrow ebooks from their online local libraries for free.

6. Till Dipper
    Badgers

To the Previous Five Geniuses

Can't help but huzzah when someone helps me row the boat away from the most useless electronic device since the pre-Betamax thingy that played movies stored on giant, LP-sized floppy disks, the name of which escapes me (help?). Huzzah.

Save your money. Buy a book, a pencil, and join a library.

7. Tom Smith 1 Silver badge
    Welcome

Laserdisk

@Till Dipper - LaserDisk is the name you're looking for I believe?

@el Reg: Any news on UK pricing for the other sony readers? Especially the small cheaper one?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like