back to article Swedish court orders The Pirate Bay shutdown

Days ahead of The Pirate Bay's supposed takeover and lawful reform, Swedish authorities are playing wack-a-mole with the notorious BitTorrent tracker's bandwidth suppliers. Stockholm's district court today ordered The Pirate Bay's largest ISP, Black Internet, to stop serving the website's traffic or face a penalty of 500,000 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eventually they will get the point when they are in prison

The judge should just add on another ten years in prison for violation of a court order. TPB can spend the rest of their lives in a black hole if they are too stupid to comply with law.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Hmmm

I am not aware of any court order to take the site down after the trial.

Didn't the prosecutor accept that bittorrent itself was perfectly legal? So why is a perfectly legitimate ISP hosting a legal service being threatened with fines?

Anyway, cutting off the head of a hydra is pretty futile if you're not Hercules, which the **AA clowns ain't.

3. brimful
    Pirate

@AC

Maybe you should unveil yourself and let the readers judge you on your comment. I for one welcome a david vs goliath now and then as it stops goliath from taking the piss from the general populace.

Skull and Crossbones - cos we're all pirates for using tpb

4. Dave Bell
    Pirate

Looks messy

The trouble is that the whole thing is riddled with dodginess. Nobody is innocent. But maybe a coupld of weeks off the net, blamable on media-industry lawyers, is the breathing spce necessary to sort out the purchase and make a start on resolving copyright issues.

I've my doubts that TPB:TNG can make deals. The record and video companies have a fundamentally different model of doing business, and will want a payment for every copy made.

Six months from now, TPB will be no more than a memory, and the whole business will repeat with some other site.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Re: Looks messy

I agree and something new will pop up to take it's place as they always have. People use TPB because they're freetards, not because it's a better medium for accessing content (which it is). If TPB is acquired, I'll be shocked and amazed if any meaningful number of users stick with the new service - assuming they can get the media asshats onboard with the whole MLM P2P scheme.

It's all a joke.

6. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    FAIL

What's so sad...

...is that cascade distribution is the solution to bandwidth problems for legetimate distribution od entertainment (movies) software.

If a torrent client were built into every set top box, customers woulld be getting their movie downloads from the guy across the street.

But the movie and tune companies are so afraid of it that it may never happen.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

It's happened before, and will happen again

As a regular long-time user of Demonoid, I've seen that site get shut down several times, sometimes for weeks at a stretch. But it always comes back, bigger and better than ever. It's been back for months now, and running at full steam.

TPB users, welcome to the the ship that sinks and rises again. TPB, like Demonoid, is based on an idea that just won't go away, and it will resurface as big and bad as it ever was. So don't worry that you've lost your beloved TPB. It'll come back. It always will.

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Ha Ha Ha

Enormous lumps of salty FAIL

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@AC 19:15

"The judge should just add on another ten years in prison for violation of a court order. TPB can spend the rest of their lives in a black hole if they are too stupid to comply with law."

TPB wasent ordered to shut down the ISP was ordered to shut them down. Who is it thats too stupid to comply with the law?

Or are you being too stupid to read the whole thing?

10. Ole Juul

Where next?

I just tried thepiratebay.ru and they don't seem to be there yet.

11. mmiied
    FAIL

control is king

TPB works cos the USERS control what gose up and what format it is in as soon as you get the big furms in volver they will want to state these and we will be back to the old DRM type arguments and it will FAIL

12. Adrian Challinor
    Pirate

Ahh justice alive and well in Sweden

"The shutdown was intended to disconnect TBP pending an outcome of a civil lawsuit filed by the usual gang of angry rights-holders"

Is this a clear case of:

1) Listen to complainants (who have been proven to be less than truthful in the past)

2) Apply sentance

3) Hold hearing, trial and appeal to make step 2 legal

4 ) PROFIT !

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4th level

So the infringement is being transferred from the person doing the infringing, to the indexing site that simply lists it? And now to the ISP that serves bandwidth to that site that tracks the person doing the copyright infringement?

What next, will the courts try to move the infringement to the electricity company who supply the ISP with electricity? Or to the cleaners who clear the power stations of the electricity company who supply the ISPs who supply the website that tracks who is violating copyright?

Silly. The Pirate Bay case was bad law in the first place, now it's just getting silly. The companies need to pursue the infringers and quit trying to shift the blame to easier targets.

14. Charles 9
    Flame

Re: 4th level

They can't go after the serious infringers many times because they live in countries where no extradition applies and where copyright on the titles in question is itself questionable.

15. Efros
    Joke

Hmm

there is something rotten in the state of.... oh shit it's in Sweden isn't it. Damn.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ac 1002

TPB is not just an index of torrent files, it is also the torrent tracker, a torrent will not work without a tracker to coordinate it. They are not just the same as any other search engine.

17. Alex 26
    Thumb Up

A many headed hydra

"The Pirate Bay is dead.... Long live the Pirate Bay!"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like