back to article Honda Insight five-door hybrid

In the race to popularise the hybrid, Honda has been shown a clean pair of heels by Toyota. This situation is graphically underlined by the fact that Toyota's Prius is currently on its fourth incarnation since its launch in 1997, while the Honda's Insight is only on its second since 1999. Between 2006 and the launch of the new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Marvin the Martian
    WTF?

Hurray another car review

The obvious reason to visit ElReg.

2. Steve K
    FAIL

Fuel economy...?

I get better fuel economy figures from my A4 Avant 2.0 TDI. The emissions may be a bit higher, but that's about it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Mixed units

So.. we have the motor's torque described in imperial (lb-ft), its power expressed in both metric and imperial, and the battery capacity in metric (Wh). Mixed units and then some.

I very much doubt that Honda design in Imperial (or English units as the yanks like to call them (despite the fact that nobody in the UK in science or engineering would be seen dead using them).

So, I'm left wondering: where is that imperial torque figure in the article coming from?

4. Robert Grant

Some helpful regex

"All Honda needs to do now is work out how to store and recycle the overpowering feeling of smugness people seem to feel while driving the Insight."

s/people/I assume &/ && s/seem to //

5. Kent Brockman
    FAIL

Fuel Economy X2

"while the average during our week with the car was 49.8."

I also get better economy in my Volvo 2.0D, and that comes with twatting up and down the M1 every week at around 80mph...

6. Peter Bond
    Thumb Up

Cars and units

Reviewing electric cars - or the closest you can get at the moment - seems reasonable enough, the site has been covering electric car news for the best part of a year and they always seem to be near the top of the 'Most Read' column. As for mixing metric and Imperial, so you want all fuel consumption numbers as KPG or KPL and MPG? Looks to me like the Reg's policy is choose the system that will make the most immediate sense to the reader and quote both for electric motor output. Not the Reg's fault you Brits have yet to embrace the metric system in its totality!

7. TeeCee Gold badge

Cheaper than the Prius?

Bloody well should be too, it's only about three quarters of the size! I saw the two parked side by side the other day and was quite surprised at the difference.

The Insight looked the more svelte and sleek of the two, but the Prius is considerably more gifted in the interior space department. Presumably Honda have found a direction in which a tape measure may be stretched to show that it offers the same space, but they're not fooling anyone.

8. Andy 97
    Thumb Down

It'll sell well with the over 60's......

I wonder if it comes with a fish sticker or Green Peace membership as standard?

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

My 12 yr old Galaxy was nearly as good

I used to have a 12 year old Ford Galaxy Diesel. It's ability to remove the skin from a rice pudding was probably the same as the Insight's and the average MPG was 45 - and that's for a big bus with up to 7 people inside.

Gosh, hasn't technology moved cars forwards since then

10. Greg Glawitsch
    Megaphone

I bought a Nissan Altima Hybrid instead...

...after considering the Honda Insight and the Honda Civic Hybrid and the Toyota Prius.

Note: The following is from the U.S. perspective, though I'm not a Yank - I just live and work there.

Prius: +best fuel economy of any Hybrid.

- butt ugly. 'nuff said.

- Hybrid tax credit (goes by manufacturer) already exhausted.

Insight: + least expensive Hybrid on the US market.

- interior small

- base trim (LX) does not include cruise control. Excuse me - no cruise control?!?!?

Civic Hybrid: - I already have a Civic (natural gas GX) and it's time for a change

- more expensive than the Insight

Altima Hybrid: + 200 hp (when gasoline engine and electric motor work together)

+ $3250 factory rebate

+ $2350 Hybrid tax credit

+ a bit larger than any of the others

Thus, for me the Altima Hybrid was the logical choice.

It's roomy, fun to drive and not as pious as the Prius.

11. Neil Cooper

Damn

Damn thats one boring-looking car.

Its not even creative. They obviously stole most of the ugliest styling points from the Prius (like the back) too.

12. Hud Dunlap
    Thumb Up

Wait 'till the battery dies

I have a 2003 Insight. The battery died after 70K miles and after the extended warranty expired. If it hadn't been covered by a recall I would have been out $5000 dollars. Spending that much money on a six year old car instead of using it on a down payment would have been silly.

No more hybrids for me.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Not impressed

My 2.2 CRV will do from 39 to 50+ mpg depending how I drive it.

With all that technology why is the Insight MPG so poor?

or put another way - why are they petrol-hybrid and not diesel-hybrid.

When there's a hybrid that does 80..100 MPG I'd buy one. Not before.

14. Labaton

Not Very Eco Freindly!

i drive a 2008 Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI Zetec, i average arond 52mpg and ive even seen it peak at around 60mpg if im really careful! these hybrids are a gimmick especially for 17k, my fiesta is around 10k brand new!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Why do they bother?

As so many have already commented, some pretty standard (and more practical) everyday cars produce better fuel consumption figures than all of these hybrids. Diesel start-stop systems, and initiatives like VW's Bluemotion all completely wipe the floor with the hybrid figures, and don't have the added burden of the nasty environmental impact (or cost) of battery manufacture and disposal.

It appears then that from a European perspective the smug "holier than thou" factor is the only reason left to market such a vehicle!

This topic is closed for new posts.