back to article Desktop virtualization stirs interest

This week we have taken a look at how desktop virtualization solutions are being used and their potential for future deployments. Your comments on the topic are extensive, full of practical experience and, on the whole, fairly positive. But before rushing in to consider the feedback in depth, Camilla Smythe did make a fair …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time-sharing of virtual desktops?

Surprised nobody mentioned that with enough bandwidth one can access one's virtual desktop from overseas, or even share the server infrastructure on which the virtual desktops run with somebody from another timezone.

2. ZenCoder

I used to do this ...

I used to do web programming and I setup a virtual machine for my development environment ... it took so long to configure everything the way I wanted it and to get the server playing nice with the debugger and all that ... plus managing snapshots was a lot faster than making and restoring backup images.

My actual PC was constantly chaning .. XP to Vista to XP, new motherboard, memory, processor upgrades, install/uninstall of games, drivers software ... but my work environment was always the same even if I was on a laptop or another computer entirely.

That had its advantages and was well worth the performance hit.

Anyway I can see how attractive this would be in a corporate environment ... just as long as they don't try to implement it on underpowered machines.

3. Penguin007
    Happy

Lab management

Keep virgin Windows VM images on a server and copy to client Ubuntu PC's once the students have stuffed it up. It usually takes about 2 months for the students to do this, but the "restore" takes 8 minutes. Bliss.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like