back to article Drizzle for Christmas - year-end-prediction for MySQL fork

A production ready version of the MySQL fork Drizzle could be ready by the end of this year. Brian Aker, Drizzle lead architect, has said the project will start to look production ready and people can begin production testing in earnest after the next milestone build. If development and testing goes as hoped that means we …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Someone ought to tell him.

"Bobby Charlton just after being caught in a stiff crosswind" doesn't really work as a hairstyle......

2. Cazzo Enorme
    Boffin

Nice skullet

Aker's sporting a classic "skullet" in the pic accompanying the story. For those who don't know, the skullet is a version of the mullet for men who are afflicted with male pattern baldness. Frankly it's not a good look, but along with the pasty complexion, bad posture and emaciated physique, it does add to the mans geek credentials .

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Drizzle?

Whatever the thinking, or lack of, behind the name "Drizzle" I don't think that it's going to help it win any market share; not that Drizzle won't find support, but product names can either help or hinder and this doesn't help.

Better if they'd called it "I can't believe it's not MySQL".

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"remove the data and dump the database"

Hell, I do that anyway.

5. A J Stiles
    Thumb Up

Good

Many people are using MySQL more as a sort of array persistence abstraction layer than the proper relational database it's growing into. If they don't need all the bells and whistles -- just SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE and REPLACE, and do all the rest in the application layer -- then more power to them.

What would be really interesting would be direct Java integration without SQL (which has always struck me as a bit clunky; it's a necessary evil if you want the ability to swap out the database engine, but it still gives the impression of not quite fitting with any programming language).

6. Andus McCoatover
    Coat

Looking at the bloke...

I'd have thought a better name for it would be "Dribble"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like