back to article EU turns beady eye on flaming iPod menace

The European Commission has reportedly launched an investigation into the outbreak of flaming iPhones and iPods which has apparently raged across Europe this summer. According to the EU Observer the Commission's Industry and Enterprise tentacle has requested information from both the company and member countries. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jess
    Grenade

Perhaps

they should sell an an iHandgrenade app.

2. ed2020
    WTF?

WTF?

"Apple has been accused of attempting to hush up such incidents, with Stanborough claiming the firm tried to get him to take a vow of silence on the whole affair in return for a refund."

In return for a refund?! I'd be wanting a helluva lot more than a straight refund for keeping my mouth shut!

3. 4a$$Monkey
    Terminator

The 600 series had rubber skin. We spotted them easy...

Is it not time all iStories carry the ROTM tag!

Apple are clearly under the control of the Lizard Alliance!!!!!!!!1111

4. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Opera at it again

I blame Opera for it. They must have grassed them up too because their browser sucks.

Yes I am taking the piss out of the MS shrills.

5. RichardB
    Coat

too obvious?

I for incendiary and Pod meaning leg - guess it does what it says on the tin...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

maybe apple are all terrorists and at the precise time all bankers, accountants, prepy boys, world leaders, fanbois and buddahs get one they will explode simultaneously and the joint explosions will leave a small crater in the northern hemisphere.

7. Dave 142

number of cases

so how many cases does it take for something to 'rage across Europe' these days? So far it's been 2 hasn't it?

8. B 9

Much hullabaloo about nothing

I think this will end up being the most hyper-inflated story of all time. The flaming iPods "raged across Europe"? This huge raging firestorm consisting of 4 or 5 incidents? If this is raging across Europe then the Black Death probably only consisted of a single family getting a cold one winter.

I may end up being wrong, but this seems like another FUD inspired story. Even if these few incidents are true it comes out to be like one hundred thousandth of one percent. Statistically it's a non-issue based on those numbers, and is more likely a user caused issue. If it was a hardware related issue I'd expect to find a much higher percentage of incidents.

9. ratfox
    Coat

Clearly it is...

An unintended activation of the self-destruct ability of the iPhone!

Apple did say they would fight against jailbreakers, didn't they?

Mine's the fireproof one...

10. windywoo
    Jobs Horns

The issue isn't the number of incidents

The issue is the fact that Apple tried to hush it up. Minor as the cases may be, Apple do themselves no favours by blackmailing someone into staying quiet.

11. Simon Says
    Stop

Re: The issue isn't the number of incidents

Well some bloke who claims an iPhone was propelled 10 ft up in the air claims that Apple offered him a replacement in return for keeping quiet. Sounds like a load of bull on both counts to me! Why on earth would Apple even consider that a replacement iPhone would be offset by signing a non-disclosure agreement? The whole thing makes no sense at all! Wouldn't suprise me if the bloke had dreamt the whole thing up. At worst it was probably a malfunctioning battery that caused some damage to the iPhone and when taken into a store some spotty dimwit said he could have a replacement and jokingly said "please don't go advertising it".

Also I'm pretty sure at least one or two of the other so called incidents had involved users mucking around with the innards of the device, which is generally not a good idea if you start damaging a lithium-based battery.

12. Martin Nicholls
    Coat

Hush Money

"Even if these few incidents are true it comes out to be like one hundred thousandth of one percent"

You have to wonder how many of these people took Apple's hush money and how many got refunds at their Apple Store/generic apple reseller though. Plus what's going to get reported are the more severe incidents.

"I blame Opera for it. They must have grassed them up too because their browser sucks"

Funny, but that's not the accusation.

The accusation is that Opera are a European business, and Microsoft are American so it's 'easy' for the EU to go after them. Also given the EU's track record with Boeing, Intel and a few others it's kind of plausable. The problem isn't that they're dealing with companies exploiting monopolies, that's all well and good - the question is proportionality, looking after your own, and the relentlessness of attacks on microsoft over IE - even though everybody knows (yes even tech-tards) that IE is a worthless piece of s**t.

It's a blatant response to the argument that if the tables were turned and Airbus were doing what Boeing were doing, would they be so relentless.. Or would the EU hush it up?

I suspect they'd hush it up.

Anyways, I've gone slightly off topic but that comment needed a response. The comptetition comission arm of the EU does a good job but they need to be seen to be *just*. And I'm typing this from a laptop running Linux before you ask.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

@Martin Nicholls

Opera are not an EU business. They operate outside of the EU just as much as MS. Infact, given how many EU-based offices MS have and how many Euros they take, they're much more of a European company than Opera.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like