back to article Apple second only to Nokia in Euro smartphone biz

Apple has overtaken Research in Motion in the race to be Europe's top smartphone seller, figures from market watcher Canalys show. During Q2, Apple shifted 1.9m iPhones in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, up from 200,000 in Q2 2008. That took its market share from 1.3 per cent to 13.6 per cent, enough to put it just ahead …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lionel Baden

wouldnt mind looking at the stats in 6 months

HTC seem to be making leaps and bounds !!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The study is invalid

In before the 'iPhone isn't a smartphone because it doesn't have a RS-232 port' crowd pipe up.

3. Chris Beach

Breakdown By OS

By OS would be much more useful, given that the defines the various smartphones.

4. RichyS

Not all S60 born equal

Can we come up with a way of measuring Nokia's actual smartphones, from the large number of essentially big screen feature-phones that just happen to run S60 on Symbian?

While there's no doubt that Nokia make some pretty nice smartphones; there's also no doubt that the vast majority of S60 phones are not sold as smartphones, and will never be used as a smartphone. They're really no different from the likes of an SE C905. Very capable: yes. Downloadable applications: yes. Can be used as a smartphone? No.

A smartphone needs an input mechanism above and beyond a D-pad and a numeric keypad. The vast majority of S60 devices fall on this basis...

5. Hans 1
    Coat

Nokia makes smart phones?

When did they start shipping?

There are only Blackberry and Apple in the smartphone business, the rest are just conning you out of your money ... ;-)

And yes, I have tried Nokia "call'em" smart phones, Windoze mobile smartphonez from world and dog .... compared to blackberry or iphone, just utter crap ... Not the same league, hell, not even the same sport ... ;-).

Ok, I have not included android nor palm pre, just because I have not used one yet ;-) ...

ppl who claim Nokia make smart phones, make me smile.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

to all apple bashers

roll it and smoke it because contrary to your "wishful thinking", the iPhone hasn't failed and failed badly as many of you predicted.

7. Nick Kew
    WTF?

What is a smartphone?

OK, blackberry and apple are top-end (especially in a crumble, served with cream).

But Nokia covers a whole spectrum, from nice devices like my current E71, down to dumb phones like its 3000-series predecessor (surely no longer available, even if I could remember a model number). Statistics like these would seem to imply someone has drawn a precise line between smartphones and simple-phones. How do they do that?

8. My New Handle
    Coat

@Nick Kew

Read the article again. The simple split has been RIM (Blackberry), Apple (iPhone) and Nokia (assorted stuff) as the top three sellers in EMEA, broken down by sales and ending up (1) Nokia, (2) Apple and (3) RIM.

If you were to take Nokia's mix of so-called smartphones and categorise them properly (as suggested by RichyS you may find that the gap between Apple and Nokia not too large at all.

No doubt some anti-Apple-everything 'tard will come up with a suitable explanation behind the figures to put Apple down in sales below Motorola and Tesco. I'll just go make a cuppa while we wait for the inevitable.

Mines the one with "Bring It" writted on the back

9. B 9

Time will settle the debate

I'm with Kam and New Handle on this one. Despite the haters continued objections about how the iPhone can't be popular based on price/features/no mms/no ssh/no antigravity/jobs is evil/etc. it somehow still seems to be exploding in sales. Maybe at some point they will pause and realize that the Apple faithful DO have a point. . . .That UI and ease of use counts as much or more than feature lists.

Given the almost religious nature of this argument I won't hold my breath, but I wonder how much of the market Apple will have to get before they change their tune?

10. Ivan Headache
    Thumb Up

I visited a new client today

6 workers in the office - 4 iPhones.

I have another client who's husband is the chief exec of a very large telecom company (actually very very large). His European companies don't have the iPhone. But what phone does she use here in London? - iPhone - along with all her friends in the far east.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Ah haz oni wun ting to say dood

heah yo' ar all...

http://iphone.tomtom.com/en-us?utm_source=iPhonelaunch180809&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=link-lp

12. Dana W
    Jobs Halo

Can you blame them?

Last I was in AT&T I tried a few windows smartphones, the touch response was terrible, slow to load, miserably bad user interface, important functions buried in sub-menus.

If this is what Windows offers the smart-phone user, can you blame them? If Microsoft thinks thats usability, why don't they go do what they usually do, and buy half a dozen iPhones and try to copy them properly?

13. Andy ORourke
    Happy

Just imagine.......

How many iPhones Apple would have sold if it wasnt exclusive to one operator in most countries or if they had dropped the price just a little.

Said it before and I'll say it again, never had an Apple product until I bought a second hand 2g iPhone (which I still have)

BEST. PHONE. EVER (in my opinion!)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like