back to article Apple VP makes magic real

Apple VP Phil Schiller has expanded his one-man operation to sort out the iPhone application store, this time conceding that magic tricks can indeed be "confusing" to users. Having responded to developers who threatened to walk away from the iPhone platform and those who asserted unreasonably prudish behaviour from Cupertino, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or...

You could just develop for a worthwhile platform like Android instead where you aren't so horribly limited in what you can do.

You only have to compare the various lists of "top iPhone apps" against "top Android apps" to see how the locked down proprietary state of the iPhone drastically holds it back.

For the iPhone you get top apps like a Facebook and a Twitter program - wow, how original and innovative, Facebook and Twitter on a mobile phone! Whilst on Android you have stuff like Loco and Enkin.

2. SlabMan

The obvious thing to do...

...if Apple's own moderator's are over-stretched, is to incentivise some form of social moderation. Knowing Apple, early warning of this will be apparent from some related patent filings.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Or...

You could just stop complaining that having decided to be an early adopter that you're horribly limited in the choice of apps you have.

You only have to compare the lists of apps available for the iPhone against Android to see how the current adoption rates for the two platforms drastically holds Android back.

Incredibly, both platforms have social networking applications available for them - how shallow!

Android has innovative stuff like Loco - a social networking application(!) - and Enkin - an augmented reality application that was impossible on previous mobiles because they lacked the hardware.

Guess what? My DVD player can't play Blu-ray discs, but my Blu-ray can *and* it can play DVDs; that does not make the DVD player horribly limited, it can still do what it was designed for and when I want to watch a DVD I can usually be into the main feature before the Blu-ray has booted up.

How about instead of complaining that fewer apps are being written for *your* chosen platform you get off your bum and write some?

Oh, and Loco isn't innovative, there are apps available for Windows Mobile, Symbian and the iPhone that perform quite similar tasks and have done since well before Android left the start-line.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

the real reason the app wasnt passed...

because it sounds like yet more crap!!

5. Richard 102
    Joke

My experience

I tried to write an app that detected spam email and shot a blinding laser beam into the eyes of the spammers and all their children. I cannot believe this was rejected, just because some innocent people got in the way. Given how they were dressed, they were probably blind to begin with.

(And yes, I do need the Joke Alert icon for this. Sadly.)

6. Richard Cartledge
    Thumb Up

The telephone of the future...today!

If you can do this crap 'trick' with a card, why bother on the telephone of the future. I am glad and pleased that this sad app was rejected.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

It's good

The more the merrier. The more reason there is for iPhone owners, or indeed "smart"phone users in general, to whip out their penis extensions in public, the more chance there is of them being mugged, which will hopefully teach the sad buggers to get a life....

I work in the mobile phone industry.

Help me.....

8. Neil Alexander
    FAIL

Maybe

... they'll show leniancy towards Google Voice while they're at it. Fuckers.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

X-Rated Apps

I have just noticed that several dictionary apps have been rated as "over 17 only" with dire warnings about sexual and violent content. Presumably because they have words like "sex" and "violence" in. Madness.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like