back to article 41% of Londoners don't care about their pets

A survey from Carphone Warehouse reveals that those in the North East of England are the most callous about their animals; with the loss of their pet upsetting only 57 per cent, while 73 per cent of those living in the South West care most - must be all those retirees. Quite why the rest of the population keeps pets isn't clear …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

The difference?

"Quite why the rest of the population keeps pets isn't clear: some form of emotional attachment to the animals we keep around our houses is traditional; without it a pet is surely just a parasite."

You could say the same about children. After all, we no longer expect them to work and stay supporting the elderly family, so* why have them?

Indeed, I expect you would find similar results if you asked this version of the same question and those same people answered honestly.

*Rhetorical question, for those who can't or won't analyse this.

2. Rob

phone/contact list vs pet/looking after it

Tricky one that, i think it all depends on how the question was asked, I mean i would be a bit annoyed to loose all the contacts stored in my phone, the phone itself i couldn't care less about, and i doubt many people really have an emotional attachement to a lump of metal & plastic.

on the other hand a pet is unique and irreplacable, but most cat owners will be aware that their kitty could take it into their heads to run away or move in over the road at any time.

on the other other hand, my phone has never used my bed as a toilet.

3. AndyB

There IS a difference between 'upset' and 'pissed off'

I would be upset if my pet died.

I would be pissed off if my phone was lost or stolen.

Stupid survey. Trying to link two unrelated emotions is pointless.

4. Graham Bartlett

All cats, presumably

Around our way, the standard thinking is: "I've got no space for a pet in my flat, and I've got no time to look after a pet - so I'll get a cat. I can let it wander around 24 hours a day and crap in the neighbours' gardens, without having to take any responsibility myself." What fun, when you happen to be a non-cat-owner who's one of the few people in the area with a well-kept garden, and you become the area's kitty-litter tray. :-( Don't get me wrong, I like cats - but I dislike the attitude of most cat owners.

(And if it's a wild animal that wants to roam free, as some cat owners say, that's fine by me. A wild animal on your property can legally be shot...)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Babushka Kitteh seiz

Oh Hai.

EAT MOR BORSCHT!

WTF!!?!

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Chris Collins

Re The difference?

I think you'll find that children are generally more appealing and stimulating than, say, a hamster or spider. I think it depends on the pet. Something about the Biological Imperative and passing on your DNA as your only reason for existence might do it. Plus they live longer and you can beat them more severely.

8. James

Title

And 83.2% of statistics are made up on the spot.

How many members of the sample population actually had pets to miss? If it was only 59% in That London - which seems high - then 100% of that pet-owning population could've said that they would miss their pets more.

Was this a typical PR we-emailed-it-round-the-company survey?

9. Bill Coleman

@Graham

...I love my cat, so if he winds up on your land and you chose to exercise your right to shoot him [that one really needs to be qualified a reference], I will come after your phone.

10. Graham Bartlett

@Bill

I suspect your pussy has a higher value than my PAYG...

FWIW on the legality, I quote from the link below: "Because they are classed as vermin, feral cats ("nuisance cats") may legally be controlled by shooting by the landowner or his agents." Now telling the difference between a feral cat and someone's cat who they've just not kept on their property, that's hard. But unlike dogs, there's no law against killing cats.

http://www.messybeast.com/ukferal.htm

11. Sabahattin Gucukoglu

Bloody Stupid, This

I'm a Londoner in a flat, and I love my cat because I think she and her little kitty friends are wonderful companions for all of humankind. Nothing to do with space or caring/feeding - they're just lovely, intelligent creatures. So if there's a fire, you know, say the gas leaks and someone lights up, it's the cat I'm going to dive for and not my phone, my computers, or anything else.

Oh, and to picky landowners: just be bloody glad a disciplined cat will cover its crap up for you. Discipline makes the cat owner the problem, not the cat. My Tab started out as an unidentifiable stray that no-one around seemed to have any connections with, so we took her in. She obviously didn't have much human exposure because training was hard work, and she was fairly fleet and wild. Of the two gardens my cat visits, only one's owner has taken exception by throwing stones (unfortunate really that we happen to have a security camera the council had no problem in believing). The other has a new feline friend. I'll gladly let any animal near to me as long as it doesn't hurt or harm anyone or anything. So if you've got a violent dog and it comes over here, then I make my complaint. Not until then, though, and I'd really expect the same of others. I wouldn't wish the loss of an animal on anyone, so shooting is something you do when kicking the animal up the arse doesn't have any effect. If you don't want a cat near you, get off your arse and plant repellant - it's not expensive, and they'll get the message. I don't take responsibility for other people's issues if their only complaint is that the cat is an intruder if it isn't doing any kind of damage or killing your animals. It shares this earth with you.

Cheers,

Sabahattin

12. Rob

Wet pussy

Graham, if you are worried about vigilante retaliation against your phone, may I suggest a water-based alternative to the more traditional projectile weapon? A cat hit with a water pistol soon learns to appreciate that patch of gravel in your garden as much as you do... It is (at least it appears to be) harmless to the cat --- which may or may not be an attractive quality --- and the cat's keeper will be none-the-wiser. It's also extremely good fun! This method also has the advantage of watering the rest of your garden while you're at it.

Right, I'm off to hide my phone...

13. Mike Moyle

The test of a scientific theory...

...lies in its ability to predict future results.

Based on this study, if someone's dog ate his phone and ran away would he be expected to be more or less upset...?

14. Sabahattin Gucukoglu

Re: Wet pussy

Just in case there's any doubt, I've no problem with this as a deterrent. Not least because Tab will quite happily take showers in the rain ...

Seriously though, you're not hurting the cat. Fine.

Cheers,

Sabahattin

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like