back to article Apple hunts down Win and Mac flavoured Safari flaws

Apple has patched six security holes in its Safari web browser software. Safari version 4.0.3 fixes separate buffer overflow bugs in the CoreGraphics and ImageIO components of the Windows version of the browser that each create a critical code injection risk. In each case, visiting a maliciously crafted website with an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DZ-Jay

Not the same

"Windows malware strains dwarf Mac virus variants by several orders of magnitude, but that's not to say that Mac malware doesn't exist. VXers are taking more interest in Macs as the platform has grown in popularity."

Still, not the same threat. In Mac OS X, the trojans depend on a user downloading and installing the malicious program from a dodgy site. This involves not only a prompt to download the software, but prompts to install and enter the admin password.

If you are in the habit up updating system software with random packages offered by dubious web sites, then, well, you get what's coming to you. I'd say the same to a user of any platform.

-dZ.

2. Richard 81

Hopefully

Hopefully they've fixed my lock-up problems too. My iMac is so old, Safari is the only browser that runs at a decent speed. Or would be, if it didn't suddenly become buggy for no apparent reason.

3. edward wright
    Jobs Halo

Typo

"Windows malware strains dwarf Mac virus variants by several orders of magnitude"

- er nope, the other way around :)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not this old chestnut

"VXers are taking more interest in Macs as the platform has grown in popularity."

Heard it in 2004

and 2005

and 2006

and 2007

and 2008

and now in 2009

5. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

@ mac fanbois

yeah, the mac OS is full of holes. It is just too trivial for the bad boys to target.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Mac Viruses can be written easily

I write viruses for a living, and Mac ones are far easier to write. The only thing is that most Mac users love their Mac and would never do them any harm. Only professional hackers like myself actually get paid to write viruses, and therefore can afford to buy a Mac. But there are only a few people (less than 10 that I know of) in the world that get paid to do my job, so Mac users can rest easy for now!

7. Ty
    Jobs Halo

lol

There are NO viruses for Mac OS X.

Many orders of magnitude? Read INFINITY numbskulls.

SO much ignorance SO many fools.

Keep talking Windows zealots. Enjoy your AV software.

8. SlabMan

Mac viruses can be written easily?

@Anonymous Coward - If you are a professional Mac virus writer, how come you appear to be able to express almost rational thought in coherent English?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Fully Patched "safe" Mac - owned in 60 secs

Mac's don't need viruses when they can be hacked so easily. So full of holes and they still churn out the usual shit about it being safe.

Mac's - for those too stupid to install a driver without a support call.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

AC writes mac viruses?

An anonymous coward writes Mac viruses for a living? Two things are immediately known:

1. You work for Symantec or one of the other companies attempting to drum up business using fear.

2. You're at the chocolate teapot end of the performance scale due to the lack of actual Mac virii in the wild...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

For Secure IT foundation

My son got virus's on his computer through Fire Fox. Its the browser he uses, so doesn't matter what browser you use, they are still all vulnerable. Especially, if you are not really carefull on what sites you go to.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like