back to article Tr.im cuts air supply, says no money in tiny Web 2.0 pot

Tr.im has shutdown its operations after failing to make money from, or find a buyer for, its URL shortening service. The company's website carries a glum message confirming that the service is in the process of being discontinued because Tr.im, which was popular among some Twitter users, couldn't raise money from the venture …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Ferguson
    Unhappy

Shame

They provided a pretty good service, with statistics and wotnot; but all these services are pretty much the same.

I'm not sure why Twitter themselves prefer bit.ly - do they have a stake?

I used tr.im because it's a whole letter shorter than bit.ly.

So... how long until the statement on their homepage appears on the Twitter homepage verbatim, except that 'tr.im' is replaced with 'Twitter'....

2. Ian Rogers
    FAIL

Shock Horror

Webtards won't pay for free service!

Who'da thunk it...

3. Andrew Moore
    FAIL

Oh dear...

"How can we monetize something that has already been given away for free for years!!!"

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Megaphone

It's the end of the world

But the media persists in bombarding with hippie myths like climate change! Thank god El Reg still manages to cover important issues!!!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

An example of Web 2.0 stupidity

Especially when you consider TinyURL.com is run by one guy in Minnesota off donations. Hard to compete against that! Especially given that huge 6 Euro per month hosting bill from RedHosting.

6. IR

Odd

Doesn't seem too hard to jam some adverts on a redirect page. Like the Reg does.

7. TeeCee Gold badge
    Troll

Re: Odd

Oh dear, you mentioned adverts. I'll just drop the appropriate response:

Yadda yadda adblock yadda noscript waffle waffle waffle firefox bullshit bullshit bollocks bollocks bollocks.

<Anti MS / Google / Apple / world of leather rant>

There. That's better.

8. Georgees

If he seriously doesn't have a seller...

I'd buy it for maybe £10K.

9. Mark Rendle
    Badgers

Web 2.0 Gnomes

1. Build a website that re-directs to other websites without displaying any content of its own.

2. ???

3. PROFIT!

10. Steven Burn

Woops ....

I run a URL shortening service myself (no linky as I don't want to do the self advertising thingymabob), and am amazed that people still think you can make money from these.

URL shorteners have never been a viable business model, indeed, I run my own as a convenience to myself and others, and have never even contemplated trying to make money from it.

Anywho, I'm rambling.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like