back to article Chinese authorities close fatal net treatment camp, arrest 13

Chinese police have detained 13 people as part of their investigation into the death of a teenager at an internet addiction treatment camp. According to official news agency Xinhua, the 13 are all connected with the Qihang Salvation Training Camp in Nanning. The camp achieved notoriety last week following the death of Deng …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Swann
    FAIL

Typical!

Usual 'old guard' response (and I don't mean just in China, either!) where those that cannot understand the advancement of human knowledge give it a derogatory label (in this case "Net Addiction") and then inflict violence upon those who practice it.

Throughout history it's the same; "We don't understand this! It scares us! ATTACK!".

Will people never learn?!

2. sandman
    Big Brother

End labour camps?

你准是在开玩笑 (You must be joking!)

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Pirate

The treatment camp staff are to be...

....sent to their local Fatal Net Treatment-Treatment camp, etc, etc ......and around we go again...

4. Fluffykins Silver badge

@sandman

I'm not!

推擠您的頭入您的直腸並且打噴嚏

5. Trevor Watt

Fatal Beating?

Well perhaps he would have not had the addiction in the first place if his parents had administered a fatal beating or two, in fact he would have grown up to be a very different boy if they had!

I apologise, that is just my strange Hibernian sense of humor showing through.....

6. Deckchair
    Thumb Up

Good stuff.

Now they can get back to farming Gold on World Of Warcraft.

7. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

@Fluffykins

推擠您的頭入您的直腸並且打噴嚏

Google translates this as: "Push your head into your rectum and sneezing"?

Good point!

8. Laughing Otter
    Pint

Hoo-boy!

A bit of irony, perhaps, that Internet dissemination of this incident was what probably sparked the retaliatory measures to close the place down in the first place. A bit of PR for their abysmal human rights agenda, eh?

A pint of Georgetown Brewery's Chopper's Red Ale (three, actually) for me in yet another vain attempt to understand the incredibly ass-backward Chinese...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A win, win situation

The parents of the kids pay for them to be cured and Foxconn pay to have their security guards trained.

The owner of the camp is on a double earner.

10. Justin White
    Paris Hilton

@ Fluffykins

High commendations, sir! Now we know how to describe a cranial-colonoscopy in Chinese! That should come in handy someday.

Paris, who's no stranger to head and insertions.

11. Dale Richards
    Go

@Fluffykins

我国气垫船包含鳗鱼

这是一个很好的方法来阻止美丽 Sarah Bee 检查我们的意见!

12. h 6
    Stop

推擠您的頭入您的直腸並且打噴嚏

"Encyclopedia of parrots for Disease Control and Prevention" ???

13. JohnG

@Trevor Watt

"....if his parents had administered a fatal beating or two..."

I think you will find that only one fatal beating is enough to curtail internet addiction and growing up of any kind because, by implication, the recipient of a fatal beating would be dead.

14. Nordrick Framelhammer

Of course the government will condem these forms of "treatment"

If it didn't stop this sort of "treatment" then those people would not notice any difference between the camps and the torture , sorry, I mean re-education that political prisonors (the vast majority of prisoners in China) are subjected to.

Also the reason that there is a panic about "net addiction" is that those playing the likes of WoW are not out slaving away for a pittance to support the extended family.

15. Alan Newbury
    Dead Vulture

@JohnG

I think he was applying the same logic as my mother - "Don't come crying to me if you wake up dead".

16. elderlybloke
    Unhappy

will the Chinese

get down to the level of brutality of the Americans at their prison camp down Cuba way?

17. cor
    Coat

@JohnG

Your application of analytic logic is commendable. No-one had spotted that.

I suspect that Mr Watt is probably speaking from experience, clearly having received only a few fatal beatings in the past.

Probably pussyfoot parents applying a 'less than lethal' electroschock with a Taser.

Mine's the one with Sardonic Police written on the back

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like