back to article Dell mobile phone launch just days away?

Dell is poised to launch a mobile phone within days, it has been claimed. A source with “knowledge of the situation” has said that Dell will announce the handset in China within the next day or two, according to a report by website TechCrunch. If the source’s information is correct, the launch will mark Dell’s entry into the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Manufactured by..?

My bet it that any such device will be manufactured by HTC as Dell's PDAs have previously been. While the design and appearance will undoubtedly be uniquely 'DELLish', look under the cover and you'll likely find a near clone of existing HTC phones.

2. Michael C

heven't heard because no one cares...

If this is just leaking out, it's likely because no one gives a crap, not even the phone companies themselves.

Besides, like everything else Dell has released, it's likely just another repackaged piece of junk from some other company. Their PDAs were nothing new or exciting, their printes died off, their PCs are cheap plastic garbage with time bombs for batteries, and their servers run overly hot and lack enterprise class tools and components.

A Dell is what you buy when you can't afford real computer hardware. We already have a cellphone company for that, it's called Nokia.

3. RichyS
    FAIL

Is that a Dell in your pocket...?

I presume it's launching in China because this is the handset that all Western networks viewed as so gawdawful that they couldn't bring themselves to launch it in the West.

If it's anything like their clunky and style-absent laptops, I'm not surprised...

4. Ian 54
    Thumb Down

Just days away...

...is probably right. That's what they kept saying when they moved the ship date for my daughters PC

5. D@v3
    FAIL

In response to Michael C....

Its nice to see that at least one other person shares my view on dell

6. Timfy
    Troll

@Michael C

Crickey.... did your wife leave you for a Dell salesman or something?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

Why?

It's not like Dell are a brand that the kiddies are going to scrabble to get their hands on...

8. Andus McCoatover

"Although China is, admittedly, an odd place to unveil such a phone."

Not really. Saves on the shipment cost, I guess. Probably manufactured there. If a customer can get through the Great Firewall of China and order one, then Dell justs pops it in the post, rather than worry about the "Customs" malarkey. Will it fuc*k Nokia? Yep, if it's any good. Pity. (Crocodile tears icon required)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Michael C

While I mostly agree with your anti-DELL rant, I have to take issue in regard to DELLs handheld range...

Although made by HTC for DELL, theiR PDAs were always class leading and the last models (The X50v / X51v) remain to this day the highest spec most powerful PDA's ever made and the only PDA's ever built to have 3D accelerated graphics.

If DELL go the same way and have phones built by HTC then they will likely be fairly high build quality / specification with reasonable price point.

10. Gerald Keen

@Michael C

Interesting comments - not sure fully justified. Head to head the poweredge servers we have had have p*ssed all over the HP (compaq) proliants that a consultant twisted my arm in installing (they were epically awful - every component, + motherboard, was replaced in both boxes in the first 12 months).

WRT to Laptops: we have run Dell, HP, Toshiba and Sony in various forms over past 10 years and all have had their moment but Dell have generally been the ones to last longest / easiest to fix. Batteries were Sony fault.

If you're running a rack nest then maybe enterprise-wise they come up short - I have no idea - but in the SME sector they do just fine.

11. Robert E A Harvey
    FAIL

@Michael C

Don't listen to the others mate.

I used to be brought laptops at the rate of 2 a week by people "which didn't seem to be working right". They were either Dells, or clogged up with Norton anti-virus which could not be removed. Or worse of all, both. I grew to hate them.

Then they started to ship Ubuntu. I was delighted. But an Ubuntu laptop cost more money and had less ram/disk/Ghz as a windows one.

So buggerm. Millenium hand and shrimp.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like