back to article Japan's central bankers look in brothels for green shoots

The Bank of Japan is probing the country's sex workers as it tries to get a grip on the state of the nation's service industries. The central bank launched a survey of brothels in the Susukino district in Hokkaido as it tries to calibrate demand for services in the outwardly straitlaced but often strangely kinky country, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

WOW!

A tourist industry official put his finger on the issue, telling Bloomberg, “It must be because people want those services. Where there’s demand, you get supply.”

Now, if we could only get our own out of touch politicians to understand that last sentence then, maybe, some sanity might come creaping back into this country.

Oh and you made a spelling mistake near to the end, it should have been a 'W' not a 'B'.

2. Hermes (nine inch) Conran
    Coat

Green shoots in a brothel?

I'd see a doctor....

Mine's the dirty mac....

3. Peter Simpson 1
    Paris Hilton

Let me be the first to quote their report...

"More research needed!"

//Paris...was there ever any doubt?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Pixelated

If they are so liberal about the sex trade, why are the best bits always blurred out

5. Finbarr Saunders
    Heart

Good work

Very well done, Joe, for not typing 'fnar' once in that article. It must have been right tempting, especially in that last sentence there.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lol

I recon that the bankers are no strangers in kabukicho ooo yeah filthy yet delicious - and infact have a very large stimulus plan invested there.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

seeds of recovery

Oh dear. Surely you need to start using 18+ labels :P

8. E 2

Well done.

More innuendo than I could shake a stick at.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But do they offer discounts for cyclists?

And can anyone post a detailed price list?

10. John Square
    Coat

"Where there’s demand, you get supply.”

"And with that grasp of macroeconomics, the country's bankers have the seeds of recovery in the palm of their hand."

It's going back a few years for me now, but isn't supply and demand firmly in the microeconomics half of economic studies?

Mines the one with the copy of the Sloman in the pocket... careful, it's heavy.

11. Jonathon Green
    Paris Hilton

Playmobil...

...please!

Paris, because she knows a good toy when she sees one...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

The green shoots

of big bamboo?

KY lubricates the economy?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In hard times

When competition is stiff in other markets, people resort to food and other nibbles. That's why Tescos does well while other companies get shafted in the market place.

I know that's difficult to swallow, but gulp it down, because the days of pearl necklaces are over.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

I lead a rather quiet life....

So can someone explain to me if "green shoots" is some kind of adventurous sexual practice or if it is just referring to having the world's worst yeast infection?

Big brother, because he's not the only one who might like to watch in this case.

15. deadlockvictim
    Happy

Typo perhaps

Kinky? Japan? Shurely not. Perhaps you meant 'Kinki' (as in Kinki Kids [1]). I'm more of a Puffy fan myself though.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinki_Kids

16. Disco-Legend-Zeke

Only Nevada in the USA

And even then, the 35,000 working girls in Las Vegas are unlicensed and un-taxed.

17. Ben Rosenthal
    Paris Hilton

shoots and leaves

trying to work those into something, but I'm coming up empty, oh my.

18. kain preacher

@Disco-Legend-Zeke

"And even then, the 35,000 working girls in Las Vegas are unlicensed and un-taxed."

Could that be do to the fact prostitution is illegal Clark County?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like