back to article Chinese more willing to trust hookers than pols

Chinese citizens consider prostitutes more trustworthy than politicians, according to a survey which suggests the Chinese are not that different to Westerners after all. Hookers came top in the survey by Xiaokang Magazine, China Daily reports, with farmers, religious workers, soldiers and students rounding out the top five. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Perhaps it is a worldwide indicator?

With one I suppose there is an expectation of fulfillment whereas the other has an expectation of frustrated fulfillment?

2. Tony S
    Pint

Meh

Clearly the Chinese are a sensible race - after all, who wouldn't trust a hooker more than a politician.

Even the poiticians trust hookers more than themselves

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

the difference

They both take your money and #*@! you, but at least the prossies wait for permission first !

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

It's all about expectations.

Hookers are open about the fact that you're going to get f***ed.

For some strange reason there are still people around who act all surprised when they get f***ed by a politician........

5. b166er
    Paris Hilton

More bang for your buck

China Daily adds of politicians "At least they have not slid into the least credible category, which consists of real estate developers, secretaries, agents, entertainers and directors."

But I bet they've 'slid' into the most credible category once or twice, eh?

Paris, because she could be either.

6. Andy Barber
    Happy

I for one...

... welcome our Chinese prostitute overloads!

7. Bernard Mergendeiler
    Pint

Simple...

It's just the classic question of who gives honest value for the money.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too true

I think the same would apply in the UK at the moment.

9. Chris Hunt
    Paris Hilton

The difference is...

Politicians claim they're NOT out to screw you.

10. Simon B
    Thumb Up

Do the survey in the UK, I'd say we'd trust hookers more too!

Do the survey in the UK, I'd say we'd trust hookers more too!

11. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

@Andy Barber

"... welcome our Chinese prostitute overloads!"

I see what you did there!

12. MarcF
    Coffee/keyboard

@bi66er and Andy Barber

You both owe me a new keyboard.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Trust

One interesting part of this survey is that the most trusted group of people at the top of the list are only trusted by about 10% of respondents. Eg. Overall most people don't trust anyone else - which a good reflection of how things are in Chinese society.

In UK I think you would get at least 70-80% of people saying that they trust the police, and there would be quite a fair number of categories of people getting at least 50% trust levels.

14. Solomon Grundy

Survey Request

I agree with Simon B there ought to be a survey on El Reg - who do the readers trust most? I'll let you guys figure out what the categories are going to be but hookers must be included.

15. AchimR

Wait...

...there are people who trust politicians?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Ok, so they don't trust the politicians...

But trust the politicians' mothers?

Sorry, that joke didn't translate so well, over here it's a common and grave offense to call someone "son of a..." well, you get the drift.

I quite liked some buttons I've seen last election: "This year I'll vote for the hookers, because I've given up on their children".

17. Anonymous John

Yes, well,

if you're going to be screwed, you might as well enjoy it.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Two fingers

The Chinese population may not have much overt freedom of expression but they can still get their opinions published in the clearest manner.

19. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Lauded Overlords ..... Lairds with Monarchs in the Glen .... Royal and Ancient Black Watch Territory

"I for one..... welcome our Chinese prostitute overloads"..By Andy Barber Posted Wednesday 5th August 2009 10:42 GMT

Seconded, Andy, And I for one ..... welcome our Chinese prostitute overlodes.

AIMODified Quantum Communications Ping for Future ProgramMINGs and a Live Operational Virtual Environment BetaTest. for Engaging Alien Life Phorms and CyberIntelAIgently Designed Entities...... BroadBandCasting XXXXStream Teen Spirit Meme.

20. Sooty

in all fairness

to the Chinese, i'd trust that nice Nigerian man, who's been emailing me about wanting to deposit 10 million dollars into my bank account if i'd just send him my account number and sort code, more than most politicians.

21. DrJaymansLoveCookie
    Thumb Down

Well duh!

"Chinese citizens consider prostitutes more trustworthy than politicians..."

That's because when you want to get screwed, you go with the hookers, when you *don't* want to get screwed...

The politician is more likely to steal cash out of you wallet when you're not looking, and more likely to give you a burning sensation while urinating.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If memory serves...

Most brothels seem to operate out of hairdressers in China, hence the large numbers of the same open at 3am, with bored looking women slouching around behind the blue smoked glass inside. Hairdressing often comes with a head massage too, so it's a great stress buster without the "extras" :-)

23. G Fan

@If memory serves...

That must've been in a fairly conservative part of the country. Round my way, they're quite brazen about it: massage parlours with pictures of girls in swimwear on the shop sign. So another victory over the politician - they're quite honest about their trade...

24. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Chinese Hookers

Mr. Fiennes is probably talking about Taiwan, on the mainland hairdressers are usually just that, but they do have establishments with well over 1,000 "hostesses", many of whom are very interested in things IT in addition to their "day jobs". Maybe El Reg should send someone to investigate. Now its an IT story. Mine's the one with RMB¥ in the pocket see you in the morning :)

25. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Its no wonder...

I can tell you why in 4 words ... Chinese hookers are hot!

Spend a few weeks in Shanghai and you'll soon see what I mean ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like