back to article Sun deals Sparc boxes, x64 iron

On the verge of being eaten by Oracle, Sun Microsystems has been unusually - but understandably - quiet on the marketing and announcement front. But that doesn't mean Sun is not wheeling and dealing and tweaking its server lineup as technology moves forward. It apparently just means Sun is not paying for public relations any …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Re: Pricing

Re: "Neither Sun nor Fujitsu provide public pricing for the M8000 and M9000 machines, so it is hard to say what per cent of the total value of a system this free chassis represents. Sun and Fujitsu haven't run benchmark tests with pricing information using Sparc iron for many, many years, so we can't back into the data that way either."

So what is the link below then?

http://catalogs.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Sun_Catalogue-Sun_Catalogue_GB-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/ViewCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=K0ZIBe.dHSIAAAEUb105G_c2&PriceIt=true

Or is it convenient to have forgotten how to search?

2. EnigmaForce
    Dead Vulture

@ AC

ROFL, yeah - it's not even searching, it's simply going to Sun.com and navigating to the server product pages.

Classic!

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

smoking that legal California pot

If Sun (a.k.a Oracle pawn) want to give away M9000's to drive more Oracle licenses they better take a lesson in TCO. Only an idiot would buy a quad core Fujitsu SPARC chip. You get 26% less performance per core than the dual core version. Figure out the math on a complete Oracle software stack that costs $150K per core.

This is your brain....this is your brain smoking dope and buying SPARC

4. Morten Bjoernsvik
    Grenade

Re: Pricing

Nobody pays list prices as quoted above. If you call a sales-rep you'll get 25% immediately. If you mention a competitive system and its pricing, You may get up to 40-45%. If Sun finds you a strategic deal, You may get even more.

Only if you have old bespoken or legacy software that will not run on anything else you have to pay close to list price.

5. -tim
    Thumb Down

Why do I need it?

What I would like is a sparc IIIi in an x1 or v100 sized box built with a 45nm process. It should clock in at about 3 GHz and outrun their T2 for any workload but badly written Java apps. But I'll never see such a beast so Sun and I must part ways while I take my cash elsewhere.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re:Why do I need it?

The closest fit to that would be the M3000.

7. Kebabbert

-tim

Not realistic. It would be very very difficult to outrun a Niagara 1.4GHz T2+ on any workload, considering that even the T1 can be at least 50 times faster than a AMD cpu on some things.

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid39_gci1313798,00.html

I suspect similar ratio for the new T2+ and a new AMD. For some workloads the AMD or Power6 is faster, for other workloads the T2 is not twice as fast, but many times faster. It would be hard to construct a CPU that outruns the T2 on all workloads. That is not realistic. T2 is specialized, and on it's genre it is King.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

The Sun sales force is AWOL

Was in the NYC office this week and was only one of two people, it used to be so packed before the recent layoffs you could not get a seat. Since I have to reapply for my job at Sun I am going to spend more time applying for jobs outside of Sun.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like