back to article Chinese youth beaten to death at net addiction bootcamp

China's anti-internet addiction industry has claimed another victim, after supervisors at a rehabilitation camp allegedly beat a 16 year old inmate to death. Deng Senshan had been sent to Guangxi Qihuang Survival Training Camp to "cure" him of his internet addiction, the AFP reports. His parents were paying $1000 for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DJV Silver badge
    Alert

I hope...

I hope his parents at least get their money back!

2. mmiied

how to cure internet addiction

give them somthing to do out of the internet

I cured my adiction to WOW by getting a fultime job and starting other hobies (tabletop wargaming and airsoft)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Electric shock treatment?

Damn right, sometimes I surf for hours strapped to my EMS unit, does wonders for my muscle tone.

4. Witty username
    Coat

Wow

Internet: Serious Business.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

Re:I hope...

"I hope his parents at least get their money back!"

If they're (un)lucky the may even get a free mac!

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    Joke

Chinese Internet

You use it for hours and hours, then 10 minutes later you're still hungry for more.

7. Ken Hagan Gold badge

China's century?

There are pundits out there who seriously believe that China will dominate the 21st century. Yeah, right. To judge from this story, they'll be too busy trying to claw their way back to the Stone Age to bother the rest of us. Make the most of those cheap goods. This country's gonna implode within the next generation.

8. Lawrence 7
    Megaphone

Savage!

Jesus Fucking Christ!

9. AchimR

Net addiction camps?

reminds me somewhat of that episode of the Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex show, 2nd Season, where Togusa is undercover in that one 'camp' sort off of kids with net addiction, where in reality those kids are used to create / break firewalls etc...

would explain a lot, coming from China...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

John Harvey Kellogg

"It's all just a little bit of history repeating"

Paris, because there isn't one of Shirley Bassey.

11. OrientalHero
    Joke

As Rowan Atkinson put it...

Perhaps if his parents had administered a fatal beating to him before, this wouldn't have happened!

Slightly more on topic, China is weird in that they have 1 billion population. Think about the normal bell shaped distribution curve. With that many people, the tail end would almost always be populated.

Tallest Man? China.

Shortest Man? Taiwan (China says it owns this...).

...so the wackiest internet tales will almost all have a related China story!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

SSSHHHH.....dont tell the government

...what better way to get the youf of today off the dole queue when they realise they cant afford to send 50% of em to uni

13. Stuart Castle Silver badge

I think it worked..

Well, he won't use the Internet anymore. OK, he won't be doing *anything* anymore, so it was a bit extreme..

14. Stevie

Bah!

[4 mmiied ] Take it from an expert on the subject: You can't fight addiction by switching to Wonkhammer 401K.

Once that bugger has you in its grip its worse than heroin (and a tad more expensive to boot).

15. Stef 4

Well...

I guess the guards were corrupted by too much violent TV, like the new reports on the G8 protests...

16. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

OMG lame

You'd think that he would at least fake submission to not using the web before taking such a beating?!

It's so censored in China anyway...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I cured my game addiction....

By getting a girlfriend and discovering cocaine. Cheaper, too!

18. SlackerUK
    Grenade

@mmiied

Hmmmmmm I think a WoW habit would be slightly less worrying than someone who dresses up in combat gear and shoots at people with a pellet gun...

19. I didn't do IT.
    Flame

Net Addiction is Red Herring

Simply put, those in power are attempting to instill the (subservient to the Emporer) cultural values that have been in effect for generations. But, outside influences are now much more common because the youth feel disenfranchised from standard Mao and want Mao 2.0, or they just don't want any Mao.

As is so often the case, "persuasion" is an ever increasing scale of (sensual and physical) assault, from Internet, to TV (BBC) and other media, to confinement / concentration camps, to beating it into (out of) them. What evil lurks in the hearts of (Chinese government) men? The Shadow (Home Secretary of Nu Labor) knows!

And, in true government form, they found a way that they (government) don't have to pay for it!

20. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

it really wasn't the internet

He just lost the latest copy of the new iPuke device and "accidently" fell.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

dang it finally started

By AchimR Posted Tuesday 4th August 2009 13:22 GMT

reminds me somewhat of that episode of the Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex show, 2nd Season, where Togusa is undercover in that one 'camp' sort off of kids with net addiction, where in reality those kids are used to create / break firewalls etc...

would explain a lot, coming from China...

sorry facility was for people that were too compatible with the cyberbrain tech. it was set up to rehab and reintegrate people into "real" time interaction and society.

as for net addiction granted there are few exceptions to the rule that do become do become addicts. unfortunetly problem already exists prior to the person becoming an "addict" usually it stems from poor social skills and low self image that is reinforced through the peers around them.

now about these camps they are a fad for the rich or well off families they are seen as status that they can afford and your family cant. too bad that such facilities are not even sanctioned by medical community as legit in most cases so incidents like this will be happening more and more.

intresting enough i had been discusing this with few friends few years back of such things happening and general concencus was that it is mostly harmless save for lack of physical activty and interaction between people on 1 on 1. jokingly we also said at the increased rate of such incedents we all can forget about sex altoghether since cybersex would be better than real thing and will cause sudden drop in population due to lack of births.

22. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Alien

The cure...

@Stevie & mmiied

Cure both addictions by playing Warmallet DOW 2 online, it will take 4 or 5 attempts to install the game as you won't be able to contact the overloaded Stream servers, the 'utility' to access the Stream servers (you have to be online just to play the sodding game) is a pig, using up memory and bandwidth as it is constantly in contact with the stream servers so you wil get a slow internet connection.

There, Warmallet and internet addiction cured in one go (and it doesn't support the Intel 965 graphics chipset either, allegedly)

Icon, not quite a 'nid icon

23. TimeMaster T

re:AchimR

Correction.

It was first season, episode "PORTRAITZ".

The facility wasn't for internet addiction, it was for treatment of "Cyberbrain Closed Shell Syndrome", a condition like modern Autism.

24. Francis Fish
    Unhappy

It's deeply sad

Why didn't they just hide the power cable? Why hand your responsibility over to someone else?

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Different Values

China places no intrinsic value on human life other than how it can serve the rulers. That is why actions such as this are amazing to us.

26. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

If they drop...

...the electro-shock and boot camp, I'm game. Thank you for travelling with LSD Airways.... A bit steep tho, LSD-like effects can be had just by breathing the right way so I might just stay at home after all.

27. kosmos
    Thumb Down

Absolute idiocy.

Curing Internet addiction.... It's hardly a disease or disorder, nevermind one that is actually treatable. Utilising brutal technologies like EST and combiing it with LSD is downright dangerous and has been generally frowned upon in western societies because, quite frankly, it doesn't work.

Let the kids have some fun under parental supervision, but thats it. Because so far all this seems to be is a brutal reaction to some chinese parents inability to take responsibility for their kid.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He's cured

I think it's safe to say his addiction has been cured.

29. Louis 3

Yeah!

Where do I sign up?

30. neb
    Pirate

@mmiied

mmmmlaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!

enjoy your red laboon & ice cream son

ps: wonkhammer rulez

31. Andy Barber
    Paris Hilton

What's wrong with...

...channel 32 or 50 on UK TV then?

32. Jason D
    Joke

I may get in trouble for this...

Guess he didn't hold the shift key down.

I doubt this is just gaming related though, it sounds like a normal internet addiction.

In all seriousness, this is quite sad, you go there to get cured and instead they punish you to this extent? We all know that nothing will come from this, there is no justice sometimes...

33. Law
    Pint

can we....

.... please send our chav's to these camps for "reprogramming"... no more t*ssers speeding down roads with neons, oversized exhausts and music booming out at midnight.... joy!! :D

34. AchimR
    Thumb Up

@AC 4th Aug 4:40PM & Timemaster T

Thanks for correcting me :)

been a while since last seen, guess I know now what to rewatch soon

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like