back to article Exploding iPod backfires on Apple

Apple is accused of trying to silence a father and his daughter with a legal gagging after the girl’s iPod Touch had inexplicably exploded. Ken Stanborough,47, from Liverpool, told The Times that Apple would refund his money only if the pair signed a confidentiality agreement banning them from talking publicly about the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

So... why does Apple get all the blame?

It isn't the devices that aren't safe, it's the lithium ion batteries that I'm sure Apple doesn't even manufacture and has no liability for. They are being used in MANY brands of portable electronics.

Also, the phone mentioned in this article was admittedly dropped and damaged. Usually, the phone would not be replaced at all under these circumstances. Apple went above and beyond!

People probably should be concerned about these dangerous lithium ion batteries that are being sold to MANY manufacturers like Apple under the guise of being safe... But, why doesn't this article pick on the manufacturers of those batteries instead of picking out a single company that's having problems with them out of MANY. Just another example of the level of stupidity we've fallen to as a society I guess. You sure don't have to really apply yourself as an investigative journalist to get to the truth of the story as I've just done... and I'm not all that smart... Who gets paid for writing this ridiculous drivel and who "gets off" seeing a successful company dragged through the mud for no fault of their own? Nobody want to write or read the real news about the hostile takeover of the USA I guess. That's not important to us...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC (first post)

I completely agree with you....you are 'not all that smart'...

...hey it ain't my fault, I never MADE the explosive I blew you up with....

3. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re why does Apple get all the blame

@AC am I wrong in suggesting that you're one of those Apple fan(atic)s?

Anyhow, you are right that Apple doesn't manufacture the short tempered batteries. But then it ends, your point. Apple is indeed liable for what it sells no matter who the original manufacturer was. In fact it was Apple who chose this very battery and Apple is to blame for using those.

If you were equally receptive for news not involving Apple you would be well aware of other (non-Apple) cases of exploding electronic devices. Now go home, do you're homework and play with your apples.

EA

4. Lionel Baden
    Jobs Horns

why is this not on the fornt page

And let the fight begin !!!

5. Coyote
    WTF?

Li-Poly?

I thought Lithium Polymer batteries weren't supposed to "vent" like that, even if punctured.

All the exploding laptop incidents involved Lithium Ion batteries. Apple uses LiPoly in iPods , iPhone and now Macbooks.

6. Harry
    Thumb Up

Well done, that man

Its high time that the law made confidentiality agreements like this null, void and legally unenforceable.

The public has a right to know of safety defects to products. They also have a right to compensation when supplied defective or dangerous products. The supplier, in turn, has absolutely no right to try to suppress evidence that NEEDS to be in the public domain.

But more to the point, how can any company be so completely and utterly stupid as to realise that by improperly trying to silence bad news, what they actually do is to broadcast it to rather more people than would otherwise know about it. And, what's more, they broadcast their cavalier attitude to public safety too.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like