back to article Now Apple expands time

Apple has quietly doubled the capacity of its Time Capsule wireless-link backup disk appliance, from one to two terabytes. Time Capsule is a networked hard drive, a 7200rpm SATA drive, in a typically Apple-style minimalistic curved white box, along with a dual-band - 2.4GHz and 5GHz - 802.11n Wi-Fi base station, which also …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. r76
    Flame

Can it now fry eggs twice as fast?

Flames, because it's hot as hell

2. DZ-Jay

Re: Can it now fry eggs twice as fast?

I own one and yes, I can attest that it gets very, very hot on the surface. However, almost a year in, and it hasn't missed a beat. It therefore does not bother me. Besides, my cat loves it.

-dZ.

3. Robbie

All good

@DZ-Jay My cat loves my Time Capsule too! :-) And my media player (Mac Mini).

And to keep this on topic, the Time Capsule does precisely what it says on the tin. I can't recall precisely when I bought it, but I'd guess it was last summer.

I can heartily recommend TimeMachineEditor ( http://timesoftware.free.fr/timemachineeditor/ ) so that Time Machine only runs backups twice a day, as I found every hour excessive.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Time Machine Editor

Yes -- it is very nice not to have time machine kick in and start backing up some multi-gigabyte VMWare Image that you happen to using that day.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

Re: Besides, my cat loves it.

I love your cats

6. fifi
    WTF?

RAID

The only thing that's stopping me getting a TimeCapsule is it's lack of RAID. I don't see the point of storing data on a medium that's no more resilient and redundant than my macbook.

7. Scott Mckenzie

@FiFi

Err, well the main point of it is that it's a backup.... if you're not backing up at the moment, you have precisely no redundancy, if you backup to a TM, you have a complete backup. It's unlikely (but possible and statistically little different) that both devices would fail at once... however, even with RAID both discs in that could fail at the same time - again, somewhat unlikely but still entirely possible.

For me it's great and as above, hasn't missed a beat at all.

8. Peter Mount

RAID

@fifi agreed that its not more resilient and I don't own a time capsule, however I use timemachine on a firewire hd with my mbp and its proved to be a lifesaver on more than one occasion when I've either accidentally deleted some work or needed to roll back and it wasn't in vcs.

Having some form of backup is better than none, although raid is obviously far far better.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.