back to article Mozilla Labs' Weave 0.5 aligns Firefox planets

Mozilla Labs has pushed out a new version of a prototype app that syncs up the "Firefox experience" across multiple browsers. Weave Sync 0.5 was released by the open source outfit yesterday. Mozilla said the tool encrypts and securely syncs Firefox usage across desktop, laptop and mobile phone browsers. The idea behind the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jacqui Smith's DVD Collection!
    Thumb Up

xmarks

Sounds like an expanded version of xmarks, I've been using it for ages. :)

2. Ben Bradley
    Jobs Horns

Cool!

This is actually very cool

I use FF on all my computers so this could be really handy when I'm browsing on the netbook, then my beast laptop at work then on the TV at home.

Increasingly my Firefox profile is the most important thing I carry around these days.

I'd like to be able to specify the location of the backup though. So you could set your own sync location though... a web server running webdav would be ideal.

So you just login to a Firefox remote profile which copied extensions, prefs, history etc and loaded them up on the client.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Opera Synch

Ah, that'll be a copy of yet another Opera feature that was slagged off by the Firebadger fanboys when it first appeared so many years ago.

Can't wait until they incorporate a personal web server into Firefox 5....

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    FAIL

Opera there first, again.

Opera sync has been around for at least a year, possibly two. Firefox fanbois playing catch-up again but they'll pretend they invented it.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Bassey

foxmarks

It's not only been available in Foxmarks for years (minus the history synch) but, as Foxmarks is cross-browser, I can synch it with IE8. And yes, there are sites that look better with IE8 or only work with IE8 - all Microsoft ones, obviously, but it's still handy to have all my bookmarks and password history waiting for me on the odd occasion I fire it up.

Sorry, Opera who? No use claiming you invented something if no-one ever gets to hear about it!

7. Vitani

@the many Opera comments

Don't you know imitation is the highest form of flattery? You should be proud that your choice of browser is so good that others want to be it.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm...

Not sure I'd want some of my links from home showing up on my desktop at work!

9. The First Dave
    Stop

FoxMarks

So how does this compare to FoxMarks, or xmarks as it likes to be called these days? It would have to be pretty awesome to outdo that, and for me to trust Mozilla with my data.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

@Vitani

Not really, the comments about Opera from Firefox fanboys are usually far from flattering, yet two years later the same features appear, albeit poorly implemented and crippled, and the same people who posted those unflattering comments post about how 'awwwsoooome' it has suddenly become...

Would you like to guess what year it will be when Firefox reinvents the web by including a server to circumvent the cloud and put the user back in control of their data, blah blah blah? 2012, maybe? 2011 if they hurry and work hard, perhaps?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like