back to article GGF says plenty of treasure for Pirate Bay purchase

Global Gaming Factory X AB (GGF) has broken its silence about the planned acquisition of notorious BitTorrent tracker site The Pirate Bay, by saying it expects the deal to complete on 27 August. The move follows days of uncertainty about the Swedish company's ability to fund any takeover of TPB, after ex-Grokster boss Wayne …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jacqui Smith's DVD Collection!

hunt pirates agreement

What?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BrokeP worried about prison

Sounds like BrokeP is worried about his time in prison, which is a good thing. Phuck with the law and end up in prison. It's all good.

3. John 76
    Linux

Er what's the point of a legal bit torrent tracker

To er download Linux distros? Yes, right....

4. Andy Barber
    Alert

Pirate Bay re-branding

"may be renamed The Pirate Bay," which is like British Telecommunications plc, re-branding to BT plc!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all good.

Is it?

Personally, I don't agree that copyright infringement or facilitating copyright infringement should land you in jail. Massive fines maybe, but not jail. Perhaps I've just noticed that those societies that incarcerate their citizens at the drop of the hat aren't very nice societies. That includes large swathes of the US, in case you're wondering.

Sweden, you were once the poster child for liberal democracy. Any chance you could get back on that track instead of following Big Business' desire to turn us all into worker-buyer drones?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ AC 15:56

hence his cunning plan to put off potential new "friends" with reports of his pungent navel lint

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All pirates belong in prison or dead

At sea they just use pirates for shark bait. On land they get a reserved room at the Iron Bar Hotel. Those in denial are getting a rude reality check.

8. Russell Favell

@ Andy Barber

Unless I missed something, I read it as "GGF may be renamed The Pirate Bay"

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@Andy Barber

Erm, the full sentence was "GGF may be renamed The Pirate Bay", not "The Pirate Bay may be renamed The Pirate Bay". GGF -> TPB is quite a step, you maybe ought to try reading the text...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

"free lawyer"

Why? The idiot has more than enough money to pay for lawyers, since TPB sold out...

11. JC 2
    Black Helicopters

Hunt Pirates Agreement

This whole mess smells a little foul. Why am I thinking special interest groups have been duped into shelling out a lot of money so 3rd parties can feign victory over nomadic P2P groupies?

Did GGF buy exclusive rights to TPB code? Even if they did what is to stop http://tpb2.com from popping up on the net tomorrow except for a squatter that makes them choose a more creative URL?

What has GGF really said? Little to nothing about "plenty of treasure". They're following the same ghost that content holders did all along, guessing that people who weren't willing to pay for content will suddenly start paying for it if it's not *free*.

It won't work. Inserting a middleman won't increase content owner profit, they're already a few million in the hole and can't even expect to keep a site up against DDOS attacks. or a constant barrage of lawsuits when they find they can't effectively police the content, but with them declaring a for-profit business they open their pocketbooks to more lawsuits.

This has all been written before, but again we're reminded of the impossible claims by GGF.

This topic is closed for new posts.