back to article Irish charity gets millions from Gates Foundation

Irish charity Concern Worldwide has received a $41m (£25m) grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The money will be spent over five years in six countries on child and maternal health projects. India, Malawi and Sierra Leone are the first three, the others will be chosen shortly. The money will try and find what …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Suburban Inmate
    Coat

a title

This is, of course, great news and I commend their charity work, if not his software.

However, with his billions, why doesn't he just buy the USA, since governments are going very cheap atm. With it he'd gain control of the World Bank, IMF, UN, NATO etc. Then he could stop them all being evil?

Then again, maybe its not that simple.... The one with the square, compass, all seeing eye, packet of owl food and tinfoil lining. Ta.

2. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Gates Halo

Can't wait . . .

. . . for all the comments saying that, no matter how much good Gates does, he's still made of pure evil for the heinous crime of being tremendously effective at selling mediocre software.

3. raving angry loony

tied?

Any news on whether the charity will be required to use Microsoft software in order to process the funds, or something? Every other one of his projects and donations that I've dug into seems to be tied to the promotion of Microsoft products, why not this one?

4. raving angry loony

@Maddox

Actually, he's not evil for being effective at selling mediocre software. He's evil because the tactics and strategies he used in selling mediocre software were illegal, unethical, and, well, evil.

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Federal Reserve under Critical Bill Pressure

"Then again, maybe its not that simple.... " ..... By Suburban Inmate Posted Wednesday 29th July 2009 14:32 GMT

With his billions, it is that simple, Suburban Inmate, but it does require Balls and Brains and a New Real Code Base for Operating IT Systems too. But Hell, if Bill can't hack his own Systems to Perform Perfectly, then all he needs to do is pay someone who can, and ideally someone who won't write him and his mates out of the Script.

The risk/certainty in continued inaction which maintains status quo arrangements is that Remote Foreign Body Parties take IT over Effortlessly, Lock Stock and Barrel and Empty the Treasury of its Plundered Riches and Laundered Ill Gotten Gains.

6. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Important Correction ..... re Remote Foreign Body Parties Take Overs

That should of course have been "status quo irregularities" rather than "arrangements"

7. Suburban Inmate

@amanfromMars: Agreed!

After a litre of Kick stimulation drink an hour or so (with breaks*) of re-reading ;-)

Money and contracts may control things for a while, but once the skill and infrastructure are gone, they're gone, and with them the real power. Imagine if China decided to have a "national strike" because the UN pissed it off or whatever?

* Hammering and folding some mild steel from an old keyboard to send to 1st Credit in their reply paid envelope. I think I'll dig out the rest of their envelopes and some old roofing lead, which I'm glad I kept.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like