back to article Foxconn pays suicidal iPhone engineer family for life

The life of the Foxconn engineer who committed suicide after misplacing an iPhone 4G prototype was apparently worth more than previously thought. On Monday, The New York times reported that the family of 25-year-old Sun Danyong, who jumped from his 12th-floor apartment window after being questioned by Foxconn security about …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christopher Martin

as long as they're alive...

"... 30,000 yuan ($4,385) every year as long as either of them remains alive."

I'd be wary to give this company any reason to want me dead.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

It's a shitload of money

Considering that in China a salary of 50 USD/month is normal, 100 good, 200 very good.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Foxconn

The family should sue for more. Foxconn needs to die, taking Jobs with them.

4. N2
    Joke

In other news

Prototype engineer gets thrown from a 12th floor balcony by family members who had previously hidden the iphone he was working on & alerted security...

5. Andy Morrell

Sun or Son

Sun = the star that is the central body of the solar system, around which the planets revolve and from which they receive light and heat: its mean distance from the earth is about 93 million miles (150 million km), its diameter about 864,000 miles (1.4 million km), and its mass about 330,000 times that of the earth; its period of surface rotation is about 26 days at its equator but longer at higher latitudes.

Son = a male child or person in relation to his parents.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@N2

You are an evil child. Fucking funny, but still evil ;-)

7. Wize

When the news dies down...

...how long before they have little roof-top accidents?

8. Chris Young
    Stop

@ Andy Morrell

Smartarse ....

The guys name is (sorry, was) Sun.

You owe El Reg an apology :-)

9. Ben Rosenthal

if they're offering that...

out of court, they're scared they'll have to pay a lot more than that if it reaches one.

The family should refuse and screw them for all they can.

10. Andy Morrell
    FAIL

@ Chris Young

Dam you... looks like I do El Reg an apology

"Sorry El Reg"

Still thought it was funny though!!

11. Robert Synnott
    Jobs Horns

Applecare

"The AP made no mention of the Apple laptop that the NYT reported was also given to Sun's ex-girlfriend." - She got everlasting AppleCare, obviously.

12. Chris 96
    FAIL

@ Chris Young and Andy Morrell

take the apology back Andy:

"... that the payment to the Sun's parents was ..."

It's either "... th payment to Sun's parents ..." or the payment to the son's parents ..."

What you have there Chris is that a payment was made to the parents of the central star of this solar system????

13. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@Andy

No you don't. For some reason they write "the payment to the Sun's parents" which for the life of me I can't figure out. The son's parents, or Sun's parents (being that Sun is his name, this is probably a reference to the deceased), or the parents of the "newspaper", or...?

We need to be tole!

14. Law
    Stop

My title

Cue a wave of lemming engineers with crap pensions or close to redundancy losing kits, gaining a black eye and then throwing themselves from buildings

15. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

@Robert Synnott

She got everlasting AppleCare, obviously.

Yeah, so did he....

16. I didn't do IT.
    Boffin

Family compensation

It's my understanding that compensation for the death of someone under your "obligation or responsibility" is still common in China. Its a matter of honor if you do something that causes someone's child (especially a first born son) to die. The amount used to be whatever that person would have amassed in "fortune over their [remaining] lifetime", so higher ranked people are / were "worth" more. Inidividuals who could not pay brought the obligation to pay unto their families, company, etc. The Chinese government has also paid this before.

http://chinadigitaltimes.net/2009/06/chinese-policeman-gets-life-for-beating-death/

http://english.sina.com/china/2009/0704/253243.html

And lastly,

http://blawg.lehmanlaw.com/english/archives/2008/01/16/435.html

Note in this one it is not the matter that families are paid... but they feel they are not paid enough. Different culture, que sera, sera, eh?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like