back to article Seagate forced to think about the next small big thing

Western Digital has pipped Seagate in the small form factor (SFF) areal density hard disk drive stakes with today's 1TB Scorpio Blue, which, in My Passport Essential SE form, compares to Seagate's 640GB FreeAgent Go. However the Seagate product is a two-platter one, meaning 320GB/platter, whereas WD's has three. That means …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. {¯`·.¸_LÅMߤ¥_¸.·´¯}
    Thumb Down

plenty of what ifs

Sounds like WD put a tasty press release out there in response to Seagate's published results, I bet Seagate already have the right answer in their back pocket!

2. Doug Glass
    FAIL

Size Matters ...

... but only if you can keep it up for long periods of time. I'd like to see reliability get significant improvements, especially from Seagate. Having sent four drives to Seagate for warranty replacement recently (one was a replacement drive from them) I really wish they'd take a lesson.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Having sent four drives ... for warranty replacement recently"

Indeed.

Raises the question of how are folk backing these things up?

What is the answer?

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Let's hope...

whatever they come up with is better than their 1TB drives .... I'm on my 2nd replacement in just a few months.

5. David Austin

Meh

waiting for Samsung to refresh it's SpinPoint F1 range - been loving those since Seagate merged with maxtor, as I was worried the latter's reliability would infect the seagate Drives....

From some of the other comments, this seems a justified fear.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like