back to article Dutch spam suspect fined €250K

Dutch telecoms regulators have fined a junk email spammer €250,000. Reinier Schenkhuizen was ordered to pay €250,000 by local regulator OPTA. Of this, €150,000 was for distributing junk emails and €100,000 for failing to create a means for recipients to unsubscribe to unwanted messages, according to local reports. OPTA alleges …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

So where...

...do I get my penis pills now?

2. Jimmy Floyd
    Headmaster

"Suspect?"

Point of order: if he's been convicted then isn't he now just a "spammer", rather than a "spam suspect?"

Reminds me of that old classic Chase HQ where you had to crash, smash and generally bugger the "suspect's" car (leaving one to question what would happen if they were a genuine criminal!)

3. lukewarmdog
    Badgers

If

It's not the softwares fault, it's the people using the software then doesn't that let Napster and TPB off the hook?

4. this

Random Fines

21m spams from a (presumably ) legal server = 250k

Botnet herder (totally illegal in all respects), 9bn spams = 75k

Doesn't add up.

5. James 12
    FAIL

Payment FAIL

Your fine payment is being held in a secure location, to retrieve this fine amount please send me your bank account details and sort code by making a small deposit to the following account... Your full fine amount will then be transferred directly into your account.

AS IF THEY WOULD PAY..

Has any Spammer ever actually paid any fine for spamming? .

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If my guess at Dutch is any good

"ADVERTERENisGRATIS"

means something like "adverts are free", which with that fine, they aren't.

7. RW
    WTF?

Political evolution

I usually think of myself as a liberal minded sort of person. Example, I feel pity and compassion for someone as fucked up as Michael Jackson.

But sometimes I can't resist falling into a Marxist stance. Example, nationalizing banks is a good idea, preferably as bank executives look on from behind bars. A long stint at hard labor turning large rocks into gravel with a sledgehammer would also be appropriate.

And from there I devolve into a bloody-minded Bolshevist whose solution to social and economic problems (e.g. spam, bank fees, meth users, layabouts, yobs, and airfare ripoffs) is to line those responsible up against a wall and liquidate them.

Sometimes I don't understand myself very well.

8. compsciguy
    Grenade

I know another way to make them stop...

Just use this:

< - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

9. Jaggies
    Pint

Unsubscribe

Surely anyone who clicks an "Unsubscribe" link in a spam is merely confirming that the original spam got through to a valid email address, thus releasing several gazillion more spams?

Pint, because I'm on holiday for the next 3 weeks...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

@unsubscribe

...also isn't the general advice NOT to click on links in unsolicited email?! that way lies untold security vulns/madness etc. Maybe OPTA should get fined for being dangerously incompetent. Although it could help create the next botnet and so give them someone else to fine, so maybe it does make sense...

Pint because i'm NOT on holiday ...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like