back to article O2 data network falls over again

Reports are pouring in that O2's data network is again on the fritz, with users complaining that data connectivity on the mobile network has been down for an hour. The company's website isn't any help as that's down too. The latest outage follows a failure of the data network last week, and the disconnection of roaming …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike Arthur
    Thumb Down

ho hum...

Just off the phone with one of their corporate helpdesk types.

To be told, it's broken, we're looking at it, priority 1, no estimate for fix.

2. Paul Eagles
    FAIL

Another day, another outage

If O2 can't even run a website (which when it is working is often so slow it's bordering on being unusable) it's no surprise they can't run their mobile network either.

Hopeless. Utterly hopeless. Customer services tell me there is nothing wrong with the network and that I should reboot my phone and so on. *SIGH*

Apple - please, please, please, please let a half decent network sell the iPhone!

3. muttley

Website down?

Corporate O2 Account Management and Bill Management sites are up and fine @ 13:20.

4. Benny
    FAIL

Voice is messed again

Just had a couple of txts come through from 20:00 - 20:30 last night, and signal is down to 1 bar when usually its full.

Bah, now how do I find out which pub everyone is in after work?!

5. Neur0mancer
    WTF?

Oh noes

My personal iphone data is down, but my corporate blackberry is working fine. What gives, O2?

6. JB 4
    Paris Hilton

Small businesses LOL

Get your wallet out and stop using childrens GPRS services - we have our own with O2 and its never broken

Paris because she sucks like you too

7. scottinsheff
    FAIL

Again??????

I wish my fella went down as often as the o2 data network!!!!

How am i expected to keep up to date with Grindr??

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Sarcastic mission critical

I was one of the people that "missed" the sarcasm. I'm still of the strong opinion that mobile broadband is not and should never be considered mission critical. Hell, even domestic fixed line broadband shouldn't be considered mission critical.

How a IT journal can even consider to claim otherwise is beyond me. You have NO meaningful SLAs, NO meaningful KPIs and NO contractual rights to claim compensation for lost business, downtime etc. The most you can ever get is your money back for the downtime - and even then it's only if it's a consecutive 5 day downtime.

Are the Register's server farms running from a laptop with a bluetooth tethered mobile or something?

9. Samuel Williams

Had to follow my nose

I was walking along looking at Google Maps when I suddenly got a message saying there was no network coverage. Reception bars were still showing a good GPRS connection though, so I assume I was a victim of this. Grrr - I nearly had to resort to asking an actual person to help find my way.

10. Rob McDougall

"We're better, connected"

better plug something in then, O2...!

11. Phil B 3
    Paris Hilton

Not just roaming customers last week

I lost all phone usage in Central London and back home in south London last Friday. Maybe I was still "roaming" due to being abroad over the weekend. Dunno.

And this whole "data network fails again" is hardly a news story for anyone who works in the City. It barely ever works here anyway.

Useless. But no one seems to mind and so o2 really could not give a f**k.

Paris - because like o2, going down never seemed to do her any harm

12. Ivan Headache
    Unhappy

Broadband services too?

My broadband is with Be.

This morning it's been up and down like the proverbial whore's drawers.

Is this linked? I ask myself.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Ah, such a nostalgic feeling..

.. the days of "carrier lost" are back :-)

15. tiggertaebo
    FAIL

"Mission Critical"

It might not be mission critical for the users but it sure is for 02 - a mobile company that can't provide mobile services probably won't stay in business!

16. Tom_

twitter related?

Is there any chance this is linked to O2 allowing twitter SMS delivery starting... yesterday?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

How?!

O2...the countries worst 3G coverage at about 10%. The worst pricing system going, and worst ability to get a straight answer from them about their contracts. And the worst reliability...

HOW THE HELL DO THEY KEEP IN BUSINESS?!!

18. Colin 21
    Happy

No issues here

No issues here (Scotland) with voice, data (gprs + 3G) or broadband.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

This must be different than last weeks debacle...

As you all seem to have accepted the explanation from last week it's clear that none of you understand the architecture for mobile data, there is no DHCP server - the functionality of assigning IP Addresses is done by the GGSN (Gateway GPRS Support Node) and as O2 put all their eggs in one basket that's why the problem was so far reaching then, but hey they are cheap and you get what you pay for.

As somebody has pointed out their personal phone isn't working yet their corporate blackberry is still producing mundane emails it is possible O2 didn't actually fully resolve the problem last week and changed some routing in their network to use the working GGSN that supports idata.o2.co.uk......and has subsequently gone on the blink too?

Paris because she doesn't have a scoobies either!

20. Stuart 22
    Thumb Down

Mission Critical

Mobile data is mission critical here. Which is why mobile devices can do wifi & 3G/2.5G plus a spare SIM with PAYG data (oh and talk) on another network. Oh and USB charging so its not disaster when the battery goes flat and you have no charger ...

Immaturity is no excuse for anything other then ensure you have redundancy/backup which you ought to have anyway. Basic principle in IT, or don't they teach that anymore?

21. Dr Richard

@Fredd

Have you tried asking for directions from a random person ... assuming that they even stop to talk to you in a City? Waste of time.

You can't beat a paper OS map and a compass as a DR plan.

22. pctechxp

I blame

The iPhone nuts.

I bought a new Nokia 6700 Classic last week and noticed that in default configuration it maintains a constant data connection, I've switched this to as needed as I don't use data that often to reduce the load and help out fellow customers.

I've had to force the phone into GSM to make a call as the 3G network is definitely on the fritz and its all the iPhone's fault I reckon.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

lalalala

lallallalalalala

beer please

24. Professor Quatermass
    Jobs Horns

Every time I work from home and go to the damn gym

Bloody cannot bloody activate the bloody cellular bloody network. How the hell can I use the cross-trainer AND work at the same time?!

That may be a wee bit frivolous, but I really do need to be connected when I'm out of the office and these mysterious outages are deeply irritating.

Evil Steve because I think he needs to come over here and show his fangs to Telefonica.

25. Dangerous Dave

they told me...

it was a fire last week that had taken the network out, then they report that it was a DHCP failure

Come on, make up your mind O2. Either way, you're a bunch of cretins who wont be getting another year out of me :)

26. Myopic Aardvark
    Happy

Scotland is a big place

The person who said no issues in Scotland missed Glasgow. It's not working here.

That being said, whilst there are two of us whom it is not working for, the guy in the desk opposite me is working fine.

27. Sam Tait
    WTF?

Up and Down

faster than a tart's drawers in Bristol at the moment.

I know this is costing them business as well - A mate bought an iPhone on the 21st, when they were down all day, and is going to return it tonight as data has been down the majority of the day .

How much more before I fire a snotagram at them asking for money off my bill due to them not being able to provide contractual services ...

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ I blame ... The iPhone nuts.

As a recent iphone nut, I suspect you are not far off the mark. If, as it has been reported before, iphone users use mobile data networks more than any other smartphone users then maybe O2 is struggling under the weight of Apple's and its own success (at being the iphone carrier in the UK).

Personally I would like to break out of the O2 straight jacket and use Three instead and as soon as my Pay&Go 12 months "free" mobile internet/wifi bolt on expires (which you get with all O2 P&G iphones) then I'll put in a Rebel/Turbo/whatever SIM and using my Three SIM instead (by then the hackers will have perfected the unlocker SIM for the 3GS 8-)

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Demand money back

I called up corp support, moaned and bitched and got a month free. Everyone should do that.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yep, I got hit by this today

and had to do some bloody work (grumblegrumble). Nothing mission critical, mind you,

The irony, however, is that whatever plan my employers have us on features some kind of super-duper bandwidth reducing technology that not only recompresses all images so that you can no longer tell what they're supposed to be, but also futzes some part of The Reg's code so that none of the pages render properly, so I have to wait until I get to a proper connection to whinge about it here.

31. pctechxp

@Paul Eagles

Whose network would you like it on then?

T-Bankrupt?

32. 3G

do it..

@Anonymous Coward "Personally I would like to break out of the O2 straight jacket and use Three instead"

I did this, it works fine on the software unlock from the dev team and the data from Three is brilliant, great coverage of 3G and rock solid reliability too.

33. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

3G dongles affected too.

From my simple deductions it appears to be a DHCP issue which is only affecting certain APN's:-

contract web bolt on APN = mobile.o2.uk :- DHCP ok

prepay broadband dongle APN = m-bb.o2.co.uk :- DHCP broken

iphone contract APN = idata.o2.co.uk :- DHCP broken (from other user reports).

I'd quite like to know what the pre-pay iphone standard apn is and also what the contract bb dongle apn's is too. What I'd really like to know is why the hell do o2 have so many different APN's and why do they say that you 'might' be charged\charged extra if you use the 'wrong one'?

Also why do they have a large range of different passwords for each APN.... e.g. fast/faster and o2web/password + others on mobile.o2.co.uk ?

I personally think it's all to do with legacy devices which have resulted in a complete mess! Things will only get worse once the pre is being sold - I expect yet another set of APN's will be created for the damn thing.

34. Pete 8
    Paris Hilton

DHCP =

Didnt Handle Cattle Prod.

Dont Have Cadets Present.

Didnt Have Complex Phone.

Deliberately Harm Copyright Protection.

Dont Harass Commentards Please

Dragon Hiding Crouching Proctologist

Dry Hump Cousin Paris?

35. Myopic Aardvark

Still out

And it's still not working here this morning....

36. Myopic Aardvark

Oh wait, now it is

Stupid variable connection.

37. Andy 97
    Happy

When will they offer refunds

Oh dear,

not quite as cool as they like to make out to be.....

38. citizenx

Re AC

>I was one of the people that "missed" the sarcasm. I'm still of the strong opinion that mobile broadband is not and should never be considered mission critical. Hell, even domestic fixed line broadband shouldn't be considered mission critical.

Oh be quiet you numpty!

39. Paul Eagles

@pctechxp

Vodafone would be my preference. I know people have had big tales of woe with them but I was a customer for about 11 years and didn't have as many problems in that 11 years as I've with with O2 in 2 months.

40. Dangerous Dave

@AC 20:40

I'm on O2 contract with the free unlimited (pssshyeah right) web bolt-on. Mine uses wap.o2.co.uk (which also keeps going down) - these are the settings that i was sent by O2 when i got my phone (non jesus) a few months back

Changing to mobile.o2.co.uk works but it's slower

41. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

2 days outage

Still on and off coverage in East Kent. 2 solid days now.

(BTW O2 advised against changing your APN settings as they couldn't guarantee that any data usage would then be within your bundled allowance).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like