back to article Google urged to self-police ebookworm tracking

US net watchdog The Center for Democracy and Technology has warned the world that Google's $125m book-scanning pact with US authors and publishers will give the web giant an "unparalleled view of people’s reading and information-seeking habits," urging the company to explain how it plans to protect user privacy if the settlement …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's the Issue?

I don't say this isn't an issue but surely it's not a separate issue from tracking Google does of non-Book based browsing? The fact Google have developed such a monopoly on the world's information is the real issue.

2. David Mullen
    Welcome

Working for the FBI

May be GBS is on a sub contract from the FBI. Didn't they get upto some sort of monitoring program of library use (that is from the film Seven but I believe the program refered to in the film was based on a real program)

I for one welcome our new efficient privacy intruding reading monitors .... oh maybe not.

3. lukewarmdog
    Badgers

tracking because

If you spend too long reading something that worries the government such as titles with the word "bomb" in them, black helicopters can be dispatched to your IP post-haste.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Wait....What?

"unparalleled view of people’s reading and information-seeking habits"

How dare you claim such a thing....Oh wait. They already do this?

Who cares. Im not bothered if Joe Bloggs knows i read "How to kill a mockingbird" or "The sound of laughter by Peter Kay"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

@zerofool2005

Ahhh, so as long as Google records it then all is fine? What if you are going for a job and the employer somehow accesses this information, and chooses the other candidate as the employer doesn’t like Peter Kay? I know that is being hypothetical and stretching it a bit, but then again, who would imagine that local councils would abuse anti-terror laws against those pesky Alka-eeee-da litter droppers…?

6. Schultz
    Terminator

bad rules

So Google can take orphaned books and make them accessible - I welcome that. But there should be rules for everyone ('level playing field', etc.) to do the same ('level playing field', etc.). Monoculture is bad, diversity is better and would raise less privacy issues.

Welcome the Information Overlords!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like