back to article Apple admits iPhone 3GS in short supply

Apple has admitted what's been rumored for weeks: It can't make enough iPhone 3GS smartphones to keep up with demand. Early in his prepared remarks that opened Tuesday's conference call with reporters and analysts detailing Apple's quarterly financial results, Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer said: "We are current unable to make …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Ah... a lesson for iPhone 4G?

Perhaps this is a lesson to be learned for the tablet erm ... 4G?

If Apple would be kind enough to ask Tom Tom to have its cradle and stuff ready for 4G launch (maybe even a paired product price saver?) that would seem sweeter still?

2. Dana W
    Jobs Halo

Happy I got in early.

I am VERY happy I got mine when the wait was only a week. The 3Gs is a great phone and with the exeption of the battery life makes up any shortcomings I had with the original one.

Then again, the new one has such good 3G I USE it a lot more.

3. Tony Hoyle

The Nintendo tactic

Don't make enough, so the product appears to be in much higher demand than it is. Worked for the Wii..

Funny how you can walk into any shop and get a 3GS on contract, but the Pay as you Go are always 'Sold out' despite being the identical hardware.

4. Roni Leben
    Paris Hilton

Apple is not actually "making" anything

"Apple has admitted what's been rumored for weeks: It can't make enough iPhone 3GS smartphones to keep up with demand."

Ahm, as one of your favorite sources (Digitimes) clearly states, it's not Apple that's actually making the phones, is it?

They are (like 99% of other phones, laptops,etc.) made by Taiwanese manufacturers with production facilities in mainland China...

Even Paris knows that

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Tony Hoyle - The Nintendo Tactic

Nintendo have done this with ALL their consoles to artificially inflate demand and create a sense that if you don't get one now you will not get one for ages.

I had a StreetFighter SNES Pack at Christmas one year and recently found out that my mum knew she had to get it months in advance or else I would have been severely disappointed on the day.

I read a very enlightening book called Game Over by David Sheff a few years back which confirmed that Nintendo are ruthless when it comes to marketing their products.

Seems like Apple have learnt from the masters.

6. Rusk
    FAIL

You would have thought...

You would have thought after the success of the last two iPhones they would have a huge stock of the S ready for release. I was lucky enough to only have to wait a week after release before I found the last one in the Themes Valley area!

Dana - as for the battery its not that bad. If I use it heavily it will last me the day but if I don't play games and only call and text on it then I can get a good 2 days if not a bit more out of it. However at the moment because it is SO good and great to play with it only lasts me 1 day :P

7. Kris Kirkbride
    Paris Hilton

Screen FAIL

Managed to blag a 32GB model when my 16GB model's touchscreen failed.

A few have had problemos...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2050675&start=0&tstart=0

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Tony Hoyle

"Funny how you can walk into any shop and get a 3GS on contract, but the Pay as you Go are always 'Sold out' despite being the identical hardware."

Not really. Contracts make more profit and the product is in short supply, so guess what the company would rather sell? Also (As you clearly have never worked in a phone shop) they will most prob be allocated differently in the stock systems so even if they wanted to sell you one on PAYG it wouldnt be possable.

God damn these companies for trying to make profits, what is the world coming to.

9. Tawakalna

and the point of an "iPhone" is exactly?

I'd love to know why these things make you all cum in your pants. Does absolutely nothing for me, and I wouldn't have one if they were giving them away free. I don't even have an ordinary mobile phone and wouldn't thank you for one.

"oh look at me I have an iPhone and can update my Facespace page while sitting on the bus, aren't I clever?"

@Ascylto or whatever your name is - reading this one too are you? ;)

10. David Halko
    Unhappy

This is not the first time this has happened to Apple

Author write, "Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer said: 'We are current unable to make enough iPhone 3GSs to meet robust demand, and we're working to address this.'"

Apple has had this problem in the past with Motorola and PowerPC based Macintosh products in the past.

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Not just the iPhone 3GS

I want to get my wife an iPhone 3 - who needs the extra speed ?

You were supposed to be able to buy one from O2 - there is no mention at all of it on the site... only the 3GS.

Imagine just how many sales they are losing... I may end up having to get a Samsung or LG instead.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC 22/7 22:04

just been on the O2 site and whilst it doesn't mention the original iPhone (who would?!) it does give you the option of choosing the 3G or 3G S. 3G 8Gb model is available. 3G S - no 16Gb available in white or black so you have to fork out for the 32Gb - which is what I think I'm gonna do. time to ditch my old N95 and it's random resetting demons!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like