back to article Yahoo! Unveils! New! Mail! Service!

You can now use Yahoo! Mail to swap text messages with mobile phones. If you're living in the right country. With the popular web-based mail client approaching its tenth anniversary, Yahoo! has unveiled a shiny new version that trades texts with any cell phone in the U.S., Canada, India, and the Philippines. We send our …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris

Unlimited?

Unlimited unlimited.. or is it more of an... ISP unlimited. You know, unlimited so long as you don't use more then 1gb.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Client?

Or is it more of a service, portal, website. Anything but an email client.

Neither is Hotmail an email client.

Now if you were talking Outlook Express, Outlook, Thunderbird, Entourage or even Pegasus, those are email clients.

3. cmsix

Yet Another "metoo" Gmail "metoo"

Is yahoo email really worth a full comment? Isn't the subject enough?

cmsix

4. Ryan

Just! hold! on! a! second!

They axed the paid-for texting service from Yahoo! UK & Ireland a few months ago.

Surely they can't be planning to not replace it with this?

5. Webster Phreaky

Yahoo! Email! Good! For! Shit! - Lets! 1 in 5! SPAM! Through!

Yahoo is absolutely good for shit, I've complained for a year about their lousy Obvious SPAM filtering and the morons at Yahoo only send you their damn form-letter replies. Do these Yahoo morons even know what a bayesian filter is?

Google? Rarely lets more that 1 on 150 SPAM emails through.

Yahoo can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

6. Legless

Err

Does this reporter work for Yahoo? There's absolutely nothing new here - just a service thats been available from loads of other places for years.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yahoo mail not so my tea

Yahoo mail, yes , the best capacity, the best interface among Gmail and Live Hotmail, but yet, it let many spam in. I don't know much about Gmail, but yes, my favorite Live Hotmail rarely having spam in my junk box, and yes, Gmail and Live Hotmail provide pop3 for FREE (Live Hotmail with certain limitation), when will only Yahoo give for free..duh.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

spam and storage

I've found their spam filtering to be reasonably good.

However, if you actually believe their "unlimited storage" story, see what happens when you have a mailbox with 30,000 messages in it. (Here's a hint: it ends badly)

9. Nigel R Silver badge

Yahoo UK binned it's text service a while back??

I was a user of the Yahoo UK web based texting service for a couple of years, the advantage being replies could go to my mobile as usual. Yahoo sacked a bunch of UK based developers and binned this service about 6 months ago, taking my remaining credit balance with it. Fortunately 18185 (UK) has now stepped into the breach with a 1p per text to anywhere in the world text service that also ID's my own mobile to the recipients.

http://www.18185.co.uk/sms.php

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Form letter replies...

>Yahoo only send you their damn form-letter replies.

>Do these Yahoo morons even know what a bayesian filter is?

Clearly they do...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yaho Mail is poor

Yahoo mail is poor as far as I'm concerned but yeah keep talking yourselves up yahoo! Maybe even you'll believe it's good someday

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stop! Already!

Ok, I admit that it was clever and funny the first couple of times, but now it's...

...Just! Annoying!

So, think of some other way to headline Yahoo(!).

13. Daniel Ballado-Torres

Not really gmail wannabe

Actually, IIRC Yahoo mail was the first one to offer something over 5 Mb; the inbox was 100 Mb around the time Gmail announced its 1Gb. This was on the time Hotmail insisted on keeping measly 2Mb, and most free services were around that limit.

Hotmail, by the way, alienated U.S. users by only upping them to 250, and non-USA users even more by NOT giving them anything at all, remaining with 2Mb. By the time they pulled their heads off their asses, most had switched to Gmail. Hotmail's now 5Gb, but most people still with Hotmail accounts only use it for MSN Messenger.

And Yahoo! well... I don't even have that much of a contactlist there ...

14. Tricia Pulley

We! already! have! this!

Am I the only one here on Verizon? We already have this. I use it all day long... sending emails that my husband gets as a text. I just log in to vtext.com and off I go. Then people can send an email to myusername@vtext.com and I get it on my phone, or I can send one that comes from my account. If they hit "reply" I get it on my vtext.com web page and on my phone.

15. Matt Thornton

Email experience?

"...without ever leaving the e-mail experience,"

I really wish someone would stick a cork in some these jumped-up buzzword-fuelled marketing peons. Email experience? Please. Jumping out of an aeroplane is an experience. Seeing Jimi Hendrix live in concert is an experience. Heck, nearly getting hit by a bus is an experience. Checking my emails is perhaps the most tedious task I have to undertake (and I'm in charge of swapping out our backup tapes, a frighteningly boring task) and does not qualify as an experience.

16. Sceptical Bastard

Hurrah for PR

I love El Reg to bits - been reading it for years.

However, I'm getting really sick of publicity being punted as 'news' on The Register. I've worked in IT and I've worked in PR and I can recognise a bloody press release when I read one.

Oh, and DO STOP doing that infantile thing with exclamation marks every! time! you! mention! Yahoo!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like