back to article German bomber crashes on Moon Google Earth

Scotland's Daily Record is running an interesting piece on the apparent remains of a crashed WWII German bomber which ended its days over Greenock in 1941, and which has now surfaced on Google Earth. The Junkers 88 was allegedly downed by anti-aircraft fire during the "Greenock Blitz" in May of that year, a two-night assault …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Someone has to say it

Playmobil please.

2. lansalot

jesus

Just send someone out with a snorkel, ffs. Put this baby to rest.

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

One Small Step for a man, One Quantum Leap for Mankind .....

.... and coming to an InterNetional News Feed and AI Seed near you.

Slow news day, Lester, or are you being stonewalled investigating something stupendous, which is rampant in the wild and spreading like a pandemic/virulent contagion? :-)

4. Jimmy Floyd
    Joke

Junkers!

Personally, I'm just having enough fun repeating the word "Junkers" over and over in the style of Dizzee Rascal's "Bonkers..."

5. Scott Mitchell
    FAIL

It's the Daily Record

It's the Scottish equivalent of The Sun ffs, with as much credibility. Nobody buys it, they even give it away free outside Glasgow Central Station....

6. Big Bear

That has me thunking...

Has Nessie turned up on Google Earth? Or even better, a pixellated face of Nessie of LochView?

7. Psymon
    Gates Halo

perhaps they were confused

It might have beenthat the plane was discovered on maps.live.com rther than google earth.

I've noticed that live has better arial snapshots in places that google (and of course it also works the other way round)

8. TeeCee Gold badge
    Go

I favour

55 55'59.10" N x 4 46'47.12" W meself.

Sort of more aeroplane shaped in a "very blurred something in the water" kind of way. About the right sort of size too.

Actually, looking again and squinting at it.............could that be Jesus?

9. Sergie Kaponitovicz
    Black Helicopters

Google streetview

Slightly off-topic (but not much) I was stunned to see a Google StreetViewSpyCar on my residential estate today.

I am not going to publish my address, but if you do a search on any of the main mapping sites using "Severn Road, Cove, Farnborough, Hampshire" you will see where I spotted the mobile snapper.

Any ideas what is so interesting about this street?

If I was an ElReg hack I'd offer a prize for the best answer/suggestion.

10. James O'Shea
    Badgers

Achtung! Massive Lizard Army reinforcements!

Der Nessies, dey are preparing for battle! They haff aeroplanes! Soon dey vill begin der irresistible march southward for der lebensraum! Only Optimus Prime can possibly save us now!

11. Gary Littlemore
    Thumb Up

Just found this:-

Just found this:-

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Greenock&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=18.913312,39.418945&ie=UTF8&ll=55.975824,-4.741979&spn=0.002179,0.006845&t=h&z=18

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Look here...

I think you've posted the wrong image. It's the smaller of the two lakes (lochs?) to the east. Look close to the north bank.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=Whinhill+golf+course&ie=UTF8&ll=55.933194,-4.753065&spn=0.001043,0.002358&t=h&z=19

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what's the scale?

The Ju 88 is about 15 metres long. Is that indistinct blob about this length?

14. Pete 8

Ask Lewis

if you can borrow his snorkel and flippers.

15. Thorsten

Plesiosaur!

This doesn't look like a Ju-88 at all, but looks remarkably like a plesiosaur. There must be some tunnel linking this lake to Loch Ness.

16. SlabMan

Found Nemo

Looks like the Nautilus to me. I'll get my turban.

17. Aortic Aneurysm

Greenock got hit by a blitz?

Jesus, I thought it looked like that all the time.

18. Gavin Jamie
    Grenade

The eye of faith

http://local.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&ie=UTF8&ll=55.934024,-4.759325&spn=0.000816,0.002068&t=h&z=19

Could that be it? One wing and the tail. Or it could be some sand.

Grenade? Well its a bomber.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

anyone else notice

Its now amanfrommars 1 not just amanfrommars ?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Junkers!

Jimmy Floyd,

When you tire of repeating the word "Junkers", try "Fokker".

21. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

rumour has it it was carrying a mix of swine flu and a

another virus that makes a one eyed scottish idiot steal all our money.

These things may yet come to pass.

Be afraid...be very afraid....

22. james 68
    Paris Hilton

hmm

dont see much of anything

but on the offchance its true.... they do state its a reservoir

can i be the one to tell the townsfolk "hey, youve been drinking dead people soup for the last 60 years"

they probably wouldnt mind though - wickerman territory and all that

paris - shes loves to gargle men in unform

23. Scott Mitchell
    Terminator

I volunteer to swim down...

... but if I find the intact skull of a dead Nazi in leather bomber gear staring back at me, or even a planeful of dead Nazis, you Reg readers must club together for my therapy and valium.

I've seen the film "Shockwaves", I know how this will end. Nazi zombies everywhere!

Deal?

24. Jon 66
    Boffin

re: what's the scale

it's 12 metres long ( never used the Ruler in Google Earth before :) )

25. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Could it be on MS maps

Looks as though MS (Bing) have birds-eye footage, which could be what they're talking about.

Could this be the outline of a Junkers?

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=t9nz4pgm31y9&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=29551600&ss=ypid.YN1076x198195459~pg.1&sp=Point.t9nz5hgm31r7_Junkers%3F_Rotate%20the%20birds%20eye%20view%20until%20you%20get%20to%20the%20one%20with%20wind%20blowing%20on%20the%20water___&encType=1

WTF because it could be anything really

26. lukewarmdog
    Pint

Plane and simple

"Air crash expert Gordon Lyons told the Record: "Crash spotters have walked by the reservoir thousands of times and never once seen a thing. However, the lake is quite deep"

Expert in stating the obvious? "People can't see to the bottom of really deep bodies of water. Bit annoying really. Wouldn't need all those expensive bathyscopes if we could, put all those marine biologists and documentary program people out of business I guess."

27. John Roberts 1
    FAIL

Nah....

Looks more like Nessie to me!

28. Rich 18

re what's the scale?

That looks about right compared to the cars near the building to the NE

29. Foxbat
    FAIL

Junk

If you look at the lake in the article on Google Earth, you can use the time feature to look at old imagery. On 11 Jun 06 the reservoir is pretty dried up, and its fair to assume shallow. So http://local.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&ie=UTF8&ll=55.934024,-4.759325&spn=0.000816,0.002068&t=h&z=19 is not the Junkers. Also, the length of the blur in that image is approx 30m, and a Ju-88 is 15m long!

If anywhere, I think it's in the small lake to the East mentioned above. Or, unbelievably, the Daily Record is publishing factually incorrect stories.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Thats actually your new nuclear deterrent

Since in this cash-strapped era Britain cannot afford Trident, HMG bought a leftover undersea-ride submarine from Disneyland and fitted it with a catapult!!

Curses! You found us!!

31. proto-robbie
    Paris Hilton

James 68: Water plonker.

Nobody drinks raw water up here, and you're miles out with The Wicker Man. Un(in)formed Junkers.

Paris, 'cos she'd Wicker Man too.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Sergie Kaponitovicz

It is That florescent orange seems to be the most popular color for cars in your neighborhood?

33. David 45

Location, location, location

Surely a touch of sonar will confirm, or otherwise?

34. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Nessie?

Acht s'only Nessie going for a swim.

35. bigphil9009
    Happy

Re: DeFex

Perfect answer! Who gives a flying wotsit what's so special about that egotist's street!

36. Lunatik
    Flame

Old media...sheesh

The Daily Record feel compelled to write a few hundred words on the subject, but don't include a link or even lat/long? Does anyone in Anderston want to pop round and explain to them how the web works?

Or maybe just bash their narrow-minded gangster/old firm/shortbread tin heads off their desks?

37. Gavin Park Weir
    Alien

Floating sunken ship near lake with no plane

Have a look at this amazing floating sucken shop just off the coast. Scary place stay away.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=t9nz4pgm31y9&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=29551600&ss=ypid.YN1076x198195459~pg.1&sp=Point.t9nz5hgm31r7_Junkers%3F_Rotate%20the%20birds%20eye%20view%20until%20you%20get%20to%20the%20one%20with%20wind%20blowing%20on%20the%20water___&encType=1

38. Andus McCoatover

Last words?

Vee are dead in ze vatter!

39. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Please

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE SOLVE THIS MYSTERY BEFORE I SPEND ALL DAY LOOKING FOR THIS F***ING PLANE!

HOAX?

40. Yorkshirepudding
    Terminator

all this has happened before

clearly its a crashed cylon heavy raider

41. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

@Scott

Actually, the equivalent of The Sun is The Scottish Sun, but yeah, you're absolutely right. Also known as the Daily Rangers, or of course the Daily Retard, along with the the most vile publication ever, The Sunday Mail.

I can't really see it as a hoax, I mean why bother, we know the place was bombed by those planes so why on earth would anyone try that? Hmm, maybe a local B&B :o)

42. planespotter
    Pint

dambuster

To be honest I was the original finder. It isn't the big sqaure dam, its to small one to the right. Its true there have been rumours for years and to the people who dont get the measurements your doing your calculations wrong. It may not be anything, but's its a bit mad anyway. I've since spoken direct to the expert qouated in several of the papers and whereas they've said he said it was an amazing discovery, I get the impression he thinks its some other feature rather than a plane. O well:(

43. Scott Mitchell
    Terminator

Robert Murat would disagree re the Daily Record

@AC 14:16

No, the most vile publication is The Sun, closely followed by the News Of The World, but the Record runs them close with completely made up anti-SNP propoganda and stories about the Old Firm joining the Atlantic Fish Steak League every other week.

BTW, the Record isn't based in Anderston any more, it's now at Atlantic Quay, facing the Kingston bridge.

Regarding the plane, I dived in last night, and found a propellor!! All I need is £2 million and I will raise the wreck and make it into a floating disco. Please donate to my paypal account. Cheers!

44. Jim 4
    FAIL

The Bun is harmless...

Definitly the Daily Mail is the most vile daily publication in the UK.

More complaints received by PPC than virtually all other daily papers put together - They seem to have no problem changing/making up facts to suit their opinion.

And, bizarrely, used as a yardstick as to the mood of the UK electorate by politicians!

45. Scott Mitchell
    Alert

The Bun Is Harmless?

Tell the families of the Heysel 96 that, and Robert Murat too. Oh and the McCanns. Oh and Alfie Patten's family too.

The Sun is scum from top to bottom.

Anyway, back to main topic - this "bomber". Do we have any Scottish amateur/pro divers on here willing to go down and take a look? Come on, there must be a Glasgow diving club willing to travel the small distance and go find out once and for all!

They found a Wellington bomber in Loch Ness not so long ago, so it's not unfeasible...

Oh aye, crap story: I used to live near Townhill Loch in Scotland. When the loch was being dredged in 1994/95 in preparation for the site becoming a waterskiing centre, the lackeys pulled all sorts out of it - mini metros, vauxhalls, sheep bones, and even - believe it or not, what appeared to be a van... I would not be surprised if they found bombers in there, the ark of the covenant and a spaceship carrying "The Thing" too

46. J Ford
    Pirate

More pirate treasure

There's a crashed tie-fighter in the lake to the west. Possibly

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=55.933056~-4.779871&style=h&lvl=19&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

47. Bill Fresher
    FAIL

Crashed Plane

It isn't a crashed plane... it's a reflection of the plane taking the aerial photographs.

This topic is closed for new posts.