back to article Intel's 32nm desktop CPU speeds and feeds revealed

Intel's first Core i5 - the chip bringing the giant's Nehalem technology into the mainstream desktop processor market - is due early in September. Further out, the company has roadmapped additional members of the family, the 32nm 'Clarkdale' chip. It's also added the low-end Clarkdale Core i3 to its proposed line-up, assorted …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

An 82W "Low Power" chip?

I hope someone's made a mistake and it's not actually 82W...

2. Nik Simpson

8 threads from 2 cores?

"Joining the 750s will be as-yet-unnumbered 3.2GHz, 3.33GHz and 3.46GHz i5s which contain only two cores, though HyperThreading technology - absent from the first i5 - will present eight cores to the host OS. All three will contain 4MB of L3 cache."

Unless Intel is doing 4 hyperthreads/core, I think that's going to be four cores (or threads) not eight.

3. Lennart Sorensen

COuld be 8 threads on 2 cores

The Alpha was supposed to get 4 threads on a core when they designed the SMT system intel later took over (after getting hold of alpha from compaq in a settlement). It would be about time intel managed to fully implement it. If you look up the alpha 21464 you will find some info on the use of SMT they were planning.

4. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: 8 threads from 2 cores?

I guess that's ultramegahyperthreading.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like