back to article Companies line up for funding to break China's Firewall

An organisation with links to Falun Gong is hoping to benefit from US government spending on breaking China's Great Firewall. Last year Congress approved $15m in State Department funds to help “the advancement of information freedom in closed societies, including the Middle East and Asia”. This was generally interpreted as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sebastian Brosig
    Thumb Up

great

1) US funds pr0n surfing in iran and China

2) massive surge in "surfing for presents" leads to weakening morale among youth

3) US wins

2. Jacqui Smith's DVD Collection!
    Thumb Up

How about Australia and NZ?

Just sayin...

3. The Original Ash
    Go

Good stuff!

So, you're going to be making a $15m donation to Tor, Freenet, and P2P routing tech then?

4. James 12
    FAIL

Confuse a gov

Brilliant, so the US government stops it citizen doing what they want online, by blocking sites and banning payment to say gambling companies and at the very same time funds ways of getting around internet blocking and censorship.

Is this just so China keeps spending lots and lots of $ on its firewall which is provided by US companies?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Money to burn

So the US can waist $15m on this.

I hope this comes bake to bite them in the arse, with techneques to bypass US firewalls being launched by China in retaliation for this attack on its government and blatent attempt to undermine it.

6. Philip Dagnan

Could be the making of an...

Obama-Lama-Ding-Dong?

7. nemski
    FAIL

Can I have $15m?

SSH tunnel out. Been there, done that.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Cracking Firewalls exposes Operating Systems to Tinkers who Tailor Soldiers and Spy? *

"I hope this comes bake to bite them in the arse, with techneques to bypass US firewalls being launched by China in retaliation for this attack on its government and blatent attempt to undermine it." .... By Anonymous Coward Posted Monday 20th July 2009 12:53 GMT

AC,

Uncle Sam has an enemy within, destroying Governments with its Federal Reserve puppets. It doesn't need China to tear down the Walls and Ivory Towers around those Spinning Losers, although with China holding so much never to be repaid debt paper/Treasury Bills, the simplest safe-keeping transfer of the tiniest fraction of the debt elsewhere, would allow a Proxy to Pry and Probe and Prod around the Doomed Steer for all the juicest cuts of Beef. And here is one of the enemy agents getting a grilling and trying to avoid saying anything cohert and incriminating..... http://tinyurl.com/nh3u88

And re that simplest safe-keeping transfer of Treasury Bills/IOUs, whatever happened to the two Japanese gentlemen recently detained at the Swiss border with some loose change in their luggage ..... http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&sid=a62_boqkurbI

* Of course it does.

10. Throatwobbler Mangrove
    WTF?

i don't get it...

"Although removing references to Falun Gong might make the Global Internet Freedom Consortium more palatable to US Congress, any funding from the US State Department could backfire on an organisation that needs to appear transparent and neutral."

Which organisation is it that needs to appear transparent and neutral? Not the Falun Gong. And the State Dept already funds a whole ton of NGOs and not-for-profits, some of which are very sympathetic to the executive in the US and some of which aren't. Funding doesn't always determine policy, funnily enough.

11. Matt 32
    Thumb Down

Well..

>So the US can waist $15m on this

Technically, if you've seen our federal deficit and whose buying it, a good portion of the $15m is China's money....

12. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Will these funds be available...

to hide from government sponsored PHORM type snooping in North America and Europe.

yeah, thought not...

13. asdf
    FAIL

symptoms of the same problem

Phorm, Aussie firewall, Chinese firewall, preventing outside gambling sites, etc are all symptoms of the same problem occuring all over the world. Governments all over the world need to learn to fear their people instead of subtly and not so subtly trying to control. They only get away with it because people have become such sheep that can't be bothered for any type of sacrifice in the name of justice.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anti-American Idiocy

OK OK... I get that many of you twits enjoy poking fun of the US. I get that you don't like a former colony surpassing you in every way. (Yes, I do mean every way. Good and bad.) But, the idiocy of many of the recent anti-US comments is pathetic and annoying. This $15M (which for you idiots that think this is a large amount in the grand scheme of things don't have a clue) is for circumvention. That is, working AROUND firewalls and other censorship systems. It has JACK to do with hacking. If we want to hack we hack. We don't go around publicly throwing money out to groups to hack anything. Get your panties out of the bunch, twats.

Oh, by the way, $15M would get you MAYBE 15 *SMALL* bridges in the US replaced that are in drastic need of repair. *SMALL* being 2 lane & no more than 30 feet in length. So, really, not much money at all.

15. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Anti-American Idiocy

I'd just like to interject that while I never condone anti-American idiocy - I have one parent from each side of the pond, but I wouldn't condone it anyway, it's idiocy after all - I don't believe it has much to do with the 'former colony' thing. I'd class that angle as, well, anti-British idiocy, myself.

As you were!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like