back to article Digital Spy fights second malware attack

Celebrity and TV gossip website Digital Spy has confirmed reports that its subscribers outside the UK have been exposed to malware. The latest reported outbreak follows an earlier malware infestation, later traced to tainted banner ads, that hit the site only six weeks ago. Digital Spy is a high-traffic website frequented by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ElNumbre

Standard Greetings...

Standard Greetings, standard response from last time.

However in the last few days I've started blocking ad's from DS, simply because their css was broken so didn't render in various browsers, particularly on the flaky forums..

2. Mike Flugennock
    Pint

Celebrity news and reality TV site, huh?

So, no big loss, I guess.

3. Jusme
    Alien

Good job DS has blocked itself for me...

Some snafu with squid, firefox and a stray "Transfer-Encoding: chunked" header means DS has been throwing up an error page for the past few weeks. Can't say I'm in a hurry to fix anything.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Inevitable

With any ad-supported website, the more you need the money the less picky you'll be about the advert source.

Maybe they need some small print entitling them to debit the advertisers credit card for the cost of fixing any problems linked to their advertising?

5. Colin Morris
    Thumb Down

Theres a bit more to it than that...

<quote>Digital Spy is a high-traffic website frequented by surfers gorging on information about celebrity shenanigans and reality TV programmes.</quote>

I've been a member since 2003 and I can safely say there is a bit more to Digital Spy's forums in particular than the 'colourful' description above. For a start there a very good 'The Wire - BBC2 pace' thread on the 'Cult' forums and even 'Politics', 'Broadband Intenet' and 'Computing and Networks' forums.

Hope that makes things clearer.

6. Defiant
    Thumb Up

GOOD

Good, I can't stand the BBC loving gimps. Go on try criticising the BBC in their Broadcasting section and see how long it is before you are banned by them. You'll get the usual suspects attacking you too. These are people who claim not to work for the BBC however spend 24/7 their attacking those that post negative comments about those employer

7. whitespacephil
    Badgers

More than celeb tittletattle

Digital Spy (used to be) really good for actually finding out about digital TV - developments in Cable, Satellite, etc and was at its best around the time of the failure of ITV/ON Digital.

I wish there were less sleb stories and more on the technical bits.

8. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

@Jusme

That Transfer-Encoding error is caused by using Firefox through a squid transparent proxy to view DS. It's been a problem for over a year. It was not clear if it is a DS, Squid or Firefox problem last time I looked.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Are they serious?

They want their own chavvy cattle to watch out for malware on *their own website* and then kindly tip them off about it?

How amateur is that? If they can't safely deliver ads or find another source with more integrity then they should stop using them and make their own bullet proof ad system. Can you imagine Sony asking its customers to keep an eye on their batteries and see if they can figure out why they're exploding, and if so write in and let them know so they can fix it? No, there'd be a product recall, which for Digital Spy means pulling all ads until the problem *is* fixed.

It shows just what they think of their own visitors, who aren't just flooded with adverts, but on a bad day malware too! Not that the average Digital Spy reader could give two hoots about viruses or malware, just as long as they can load the Big brother forums and post "OMG!!!!" every now and again. It's years since those forums were actually useful to anyone who didn't just want to argue like an idiot about the TV licence, waffle about Jade, Jordan and Robbie Williams as if they know them, or squander hours reading through threads along the lines of "OMG!! My cat had sex with a dog and now I'm worried it's pregnant! - Please help!!"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like