back to article HTC Snap

Another week, another handset from HTC, or so it seems. The Taiwanese manufacturer has been churning out new Windows Mobile smart phones with indecent haste of late, and seems to be showing no signs of flagging. HTC Snap HTC's Snap: keep up with your inner retinue The latest is a break from the firm's Touch series and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. B4PJS
    FAIL

Is the authour an idiot?

You need to check out the facts on the homescreen mate, that is actually Microsofts "Sliding Panels" homescreen aka Chome or "Compact Home", nothing to do with HTC.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Surely you mean...

"Without a big touchscreen though, it's likely to be more hindrance than help if you try to use it while driving."

Should read

"Without a big touchscreen though, it's likely to be more hindrance than help if you try to use it when pulled over in a safe place, as using it whilst driving is not only dangerous, but also illegal"

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Tim Hale 1
    FAIL

Two points:

First: HTC have a whizzy UI for their touch phones that's very nice but what may not be clear to people is that as soon as you fire-up a third-party app you're thrown straight back to the the turn of the century and the WinMo user 'interface' because, in most cases, the standard interface design is rooted back in there (go look at Windows CE 3, it'll look very familiar). Some apps have a really good UI but there's no consistency between them because there's no UI design standard that they can rally around.

To avoid this problem you have to refrain from installing any third-party apps and then it's not so much of a smartphone.

Second: Still no push IMAP in WinMo? Seriously? I mean, seriously? I know; install a third-party app, oh, that brings me back to my first point.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Robert E A Harvey
    FAIL

Yawn

Said it before - not interested in winphones.

Why is the same hardware not available with a choice of OS?

7. Trevor Watt

@ Robert E A Harvey

Why bother reading the article then?

8. Wayne Stallwood

So pretty much an E71

But with Wincephone software.

I am not even sure the hardware looks as nice...the E71 is almost perfect in that regard.

I think I will stick with tried and trusted S60 thanks...it has it's flaws but at least it tries to be a phone first. Every wincephone I have sampled (various HTC devices up to the Touch Diamond) have had horrible stalls, crashes, out of sync sound events and massive usability issues

About the only thing that will get me giving up the 71 is when Orange wake up and start offering an Android phone.

9. robin thakur 1
    FAIL

From Poor-man's iPhones to Poor man's Blackberries

You've got to love HTC. After fighting Samsung, LG and the rest in conning people into buying something which looks vaguely like an iPhone but lacks the support, the features or the apps of the iPhone platform, they're now trying the same trick with Blackberries. Having owned numerous HTC phones before I owned a blackberry 8800 and numerous iPhones, HTC have little innovation, they copy. Badly. Their devices feel cheap and insubstantial often decently specced, but always always let down by ridiculously antiquated software. Even if you don't intend to install third party apps on the device and go back to the year 2000 in OS usability with windows Mobile, the HTC software is simply outdated.

That and you'll very rarely get updates if their current behaviour is like their previous, they aren't even up to the standard of Blackberry updates regularity, let alone approaching Apple. New week, new model is the way it is. Windows Mobile seems great on paper, until you try to use it. Tmakes you glad a certain company innovated, or we'd still be stuck using Wimo!

10. HonourableTyr

No Opera?

You do know why right? Opera Mobile 9+ doesn't work without a touch screen! The enrite control system is designed for touchscreen phones.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like