back to article US space superloo claps out

NASA's deluxe International Space Station toilet clapped out yesterday, meaning the 13 astronauts currently aboard the orbiting outpost will temporarily have to share the Russian "Waste Management System" and space shuttle Endeavour's facilities. The US toilet aboard the ISS. Pic: NASA The agency explains that Mike Barratt …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Alien

In space

No one can hear you flush...

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Paging Mr. Wolowitz

And I thought TBBT was fiction...

3. John Tserkezis

It's got to happen.

To maintain passenger satisfaction, the spicy vindaloo chicken will be taken off the menu until further notice.

4. jake Silver badge

How old are we?

We all eat & drink. We all pee & poop.

This is true[1] wherever people are, even when exploring.

Instead of trying to make the ISS toilet & water recycling facilities it into a ::teehee:: RedTop[tm] thingie, how about going into detail on how it works, and how it's broken?

Grow up, already. This shit is kinda important, if you will.

[1] Yes, I know, some folks have issues with basic input & output. They are probably not going to see the inside of the ISS anytime soon ... Not trying to disenfranchise anyone, just being realistic.

5. cookieMonster Silver badge
    Go

Never underestimate ....

the importance of toilet cleaners .......

A career path many look down upon, yet when confined to a sealed environment, probably one of the most important jobs going :)

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

The way I heard it.

They're not sure what's actually gone wrong and are adopting the time-honoured method of replacing bits until it works.

At least, that's what I think they meant when they said: "We have nothing to go on".......

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In Russia, space toilet flushes you!

I was going to make a "In Russia, space toilet flushes you!" comment, but Winkypop's comment was so much better.

8. Dork Lard

In space

All of your turds are "floaters".

9. Player_16
    Pint

What's for tea tonight?

Mexican.

10. Alex Rose

@jake

Jake said - Instead of trying to make the ISS toilet & water recycling facilities it into a ::teehee:: RedTop[tm] thingie, how about going into detail on how it works, and how it's broken?

The article said - "The parts likely were contaminated earlier today when the system’s dose pump failed after running for about 15 minutes. The pump introduces the correct amount of chemicals into the system to help separate liquids from solid waste. About six litres of pre-treated water may have flowed into the pump separator and other areas it does not belong, flooding the separator."

Can we have a RTFA (Read The F**king Article) icon please Reg?

11. TeeCee Gold badge
    FAIL

Double post, oops.

But you missed an important bit, reported elsewhere.

They also can't use the shuttle's bog at full capacity and were rather banking on the ISS's porcelain facilities being up to snuff.

The reason?

The crapper on the shuttle empties into a waste tank. Said waste tank then gets flushed into the great unknown when full. In a shocking design pig's ear, if this is done when docked the delicate scientific instrument cluster on the Japanese* Kibo lab gets a liberal coating of sewage.

So, no flushing the bog when the shuttle's standing at the station.

*The first person to mention the involvement of the eminent Chinese scientist Huflung Poo here gets a fat lip.

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Claps out?

Craps out, shurely?

13. Dork Lard

@jake

'How lucky you English are to find the toilet so amusing. For us, it is a mundane and functional item. For you it is the basis of an entire culture.'

14. Simon Buttress
    Thumb Down

Shit......

in this case, doesn't happen.

Thumbs down because toilet is serious business.

15. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Coat

Grafitti on the ISS toilet walls...

Sitting on this high-tech loo,

this bog that cost a million bucks...

gravity is a myth my friends;

the earth sucks!

Why yes, the one with the goldfish bowl, thanks!

16. JohnG

Russians

It's lucky that the Russians are so amenable and aren't applying the "you can't use our stuff" attitude of the US officials.

17. frank ly

@cookieMonster re. Never underestimate...

"..yet when confined to a sealed environment, probably one of the most important jobs going.."

Quite similar to a vending machine technician then...?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Imagine the callout charge

When you need a plumber at a weekend in low orbit.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Too bad...

they can´t pull over at the next gas station...

... constellation urine... comes to mind... must resist....

20. Mark Jan

To boldly go

...or not as the case maybe.

21. Yorkshirepudding

the woolowitz crapper

this i would pay to see in operation

22. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

This is just

taking the p!ss, or not as the case may be.

23. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

How hard can it be?

I mean designing a working space-loo that can reclaim the vast amount of the water is quite a feat of engineering. Hats off to the guys who designed it.

But how hard can it be to test the damn thing? Run it upside-down, spin it around in a centrifuge while running it, stick it in a nosediving plane, whatever- just make sure that whatever oddball forces or lack-of-forces are applied to it it'll not fail. It's not like it's operating in an unknown atmosphere or with experimental materials or what have you. Whatever it costs to test it properly will surely be less than the cost of sending another shuttle mission up to sort it out.

Alternatively send up another shuttle with a shipment of duct tape and WD40.

"Uh, Houston- this was more of an 'FYI' call... we're pretty much out the door."

24. Stevie

Bah!

Interestingly, in the early days of the shuttle's life, one astronaut complained (in Omni if memory serves) that the only thing that worked better than expected in Skylab was the toilet, and NASA was trashing the design for a new and untested one in the new spacecraft.

25. David 45

Plumber

Will call in next Tuesday. Probably need new parts that won't be on the van and will have to be ordered. Well, mate, this could take a couple of months. (Sniff, cough)

26. jake Silver badge

@Alex Rose &@Dork Lard

Alex: I swear I read something different than the current article ... But I was kinda out of kilter early yesterday morning. Our many-years-of-breeding stud colt decided to get a case of testosterone poisoning about four months early last night. He tried to mount his mother. She kicked the shit out of him, requiring over 200 stitches. She was a good girl and didn't kill him or break any bones ... GAWD/ESS, but I love a good brood mare! Hopefully he'll mind his manors from here on out ...

Dork: I ain't English. Or maybe that was your point :-)

27. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Until it's fixed...

Can't they just go out the window? Worked in Shakespeare's time. As long as I'm not stood underneath, natch.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like