back to article Accenture saddles up Symbian development

Accenture has bought Nokia's Symbian Professional Services unit, and will be responsible for helping device manufacturers get version ^2 onto their handsets. Neither party is saying how much Accenture (the artist formerly known as Andersen Consulting) has paid for the unit, but the deal includes 165 staff who'll be transferred …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

HA HA HA HA HA

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

Sorry, my instant reaction to Accenture doing anything...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Resistance is futile

The androids march on.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Note to the 165 staff being transferred...

...take the redundancy option you'll probably have been offered. I know many people that would rather be on the dole, working behind a bar, or even emptying bins than working for Accshiture...

4. Robert Ramsay
    Coat

Amending Bill Hicks...

"If you work in advertising or marketing or for Accenture - kill yourself. No punchline, just - kill yourself."

5. The Original Steve
    Grenade

Don't do it

As an ex-Accidenture employee (for all of 7 months before I quit) don't bother. Company sucks ass. They'll be developing on Windows 98 on a 486 with 32Mb RAM unless they've upgraded since I left in 2005....

Tight ass c*nts.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This means...

... 165 more freelance Symbian coders entering the market.

7. Jay Jaffa
    Pirate

Nokia ^2 - wordperfect for mobile

Didn't take long for Nokia to move from #1 to the next novell netware. For too long an arrogant company who didn't open up to developers or consumers. Apple and Google are eating this lot for dinner - what's left of them. Perhaps Miceosoft should buy them - at least they've got better technology than WinMo

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. thetaintedman
    Coat

The Accenture Way

"...presumably requiring some sort of fast-track indoctrination into the Accenture way..."

presumably, if they do that there will be rather less than 165 of us left...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Warning to all of this ilk.......

open source will catch up and overtake you. And in a few years you, and others like you, will be a distant memory to the professionals in this industry. Aha me hearties!!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Accenture Produces Code?

All I have ever seen them produce is shelfware. As to their hiring existing competent coders..... That runs counter to their usual approach of using large numbers of thinly qualified folks and charging the customer for having them trained to work on the project.

12. Mark Finn

This is actually quite crucial news

We now know that the Symbian platform is dead to all potential development.

Discontinue all development on it, cancel any projects that depend on it, and move on to viable competitors.

Yeah, I'm ex-Accenture.

13. sleepy

That's 165 more iPhone developers then . . .

I've never met a competent software engineer who didn't have complete contempt for Accenture. Their role seems to be protecting politicians and corporate management from being troubled by the constraints of good engineering. If they were in construction/architecture, their buildings would all down, but for some reason in IT, that's acceptable.

If you're one of the 165, take heed they'll be changing your employment terms by stealth to avoid any opportunity for you to get redundancy pay corresponding to your actual years of service when you quit. They may already have had you move offices before telling you about Accenture, so that there's no change in work location when you're transferred.

14. MnM

End of Nokia smartphones

I liked my E71 and had hoped that Symbian would come good but this is too much. I'll have to seriously reappraise when my upgrade's due.

15. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Personal tools

This is a really lamentable end for the Symbian. No blaze of glory eh? Again me too as an ex accenture - they're really crap with technology and eveything that hasn't to do with management. Even the management is crap, but Accidenture are smart enough to fool the customers. Really bad bad company philosophy.

16. BeefStirFry
    Megaphone

Does anyone have a nice word to say about Accenture?

C'mon guys, Accenture aren't that bad.

They can deliver quality projects, and they manage to do it to time and budget!

They have saved many companies millions of pounds and have an excellent track record of...

AHH forget it... who am I kidding...

Accenture are the worst consultancy I've ever worked with. They somehow manage to get into bed with the senior management (and some of these aren't pretty) to ensure that their image at the top of a company isn't tarnished, and leave half baked implementations to fail, but still convince the company it wasn't their fault, it was the staff who weren't dedicated enough.

Blow them to smithereens...

17. Andy Watt
    FAIL

Hee hee!

Excellent! It's about time we had an Enron-style scandal in mobile apps!

If their company philosophy is as bad as the comments here suggest, I'm glad to be ditching symbian based handsets once and for all.

But, let's face it, Nokia can sell shit to chavs (note: gross stereotype!) and they lap it up. Reboot your phone twice a day? No worries, it's just modern life, innit? Early adopter? Be ready to upgrade your phone 5 times with our PC-based CrapSync before you get acceptable performance!

F(*& it, I'm going iPhone. They've finally managed to get cut n paste in there so sod this for a lark, I'm abandoning these old mobile OSs. Hell, symbian was shite to code in anyway!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like