back to article HP chases Sun Oracle server shops

Now that shareholders of Sun Microsystems have voted to approve Oracle's $5.6bn (£3.4bn) takeover, Unix rival HP is trying to cull customers from the Solaris herd and move them to ProLiant or Integrity machines running Windows, Linux, or HP-UX. In the past six months, HP says, more than 100 Sun customers have migrated from Sun …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

What Sun Shops

Would these be the Sun Shops that don't exist anymore according to HP, IBM and RedHat ;)

2. Jan 7
    Grenade

Even with 200% discount...

...I would never ever touch that hideous HPUX again.

Certainly not.

Worse than windows.

*shudders*

Grenade: for self defence.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Of course they are!

They're running scared.

What do you expect for a company who's laughable operating system doesn't even run on their biggest selling platform?

(no I don't mean their printers)

What a surprise - they have a tool which shows their competitors aren't as cheap as them. Not unsurprisingly, the competitors all have tools that show the opposite.

[Cue Matt Bryant and the other Mark Turd fanbois]

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

HP chases Sun Oracle server shops......

... errr with what exactly.... ???

5. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Que?

"On the software front, HP is giving an 85 per cent discount on HP-UX 11i v3 Base Operating Environment licenses, which costs from $225 to $2,370..."

How can HP-UX ever be cheaper than Solaris which is FREE?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Que?

Maybe they're talking about the cost of services.

However, you get what you pay for in terms of support services and from my experience, HP support is woeful.

One of the many reasons that there are no HP boxes (packaging or otherwise) in my datacentre.

7. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

The biggest growth area in the downturn.

If you look at the market, there isn't going to be many opportunities in a downturn, so the demise of Sun has become the biggest sales opportunity for hp, IBM, Dell, etc, etc, to actually grow market share and possibly their revenues by grabbing as much of the old Sun market share as possible. In such a dogfight, the company that can offer the best discounts along with convincing options will probably grab the biggest share, and once they have switched a customer it will be much harder for other vendors to try and steal them away, so a win now means more longterm sales. Hence the offers coming from hp and co targetting Sun accounts whilst they are still worrying about which way Larry is going to take them.

For customers, it is always painful migrating platforms as it means risk, so offers that bundle in migration services as well as genearous discounts become all the more attractive. Hp claim to have had a lot of success with their Sun attack sales offerings over the last few years when Sun could put up a defence - now Sun is down and out, hp should rake it in. Expect lots of similar offerings from IBM, Dell and Fujitsu as the fight heats up.

The Sunshiners can be as bitter as they like, but it doesn't change the facts. Sun is finished and now the other vendors are going to divvie up the Sun share and grab whatever useable scraps of the Sun carcass that Oracle put up for sale. As regards Slowaris, I've actually been told by a Sun consultant that it is closer to hp-ux than AIX, so that should make hp-ux an easier migration, especially with the services on offer from hp.

/Cheshire Cat smile as I welcome the grumpy Sun refugees to a better place.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Funny enough, Sun claims to have taken 200 HP customers...

in the last couple of years. My last employer as an example, got tired of HP killing off all of their platforms and no promise of any future innovation that would meet their requirements moving forward... They had to move anyway with upcoming(?) Tuckwila, and the death of PA-RISC, etc, so SPARC seemed just as safe as Itanium, and more consistent... Also, current Itanium was looking long in the tooth and only one vendor supported it. They made the decision that even with Sun hurting, Fujitsu was also available, so they could be played against each other reducing lock-in. IBM was not considered because IBM-GS is way too expensive and always seems to be required - even for the simple task of scratching your left cheek.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like