back to article Reg readers crack case of the $23 quadrillion overcharge

It seems an empty amount field is the culprit in the programming glitch that caused some 13,000 holders of prepaid Visa cards to receive warnings that their accounts were overdrawn by more than $23 quadrillion. At least, that's the theory advanced by several Register readers, who posit an 8-byte blank field was converted to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OK then if i must

I have to ask, do they take Visa in Zimbabe?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Suspicious activity

Were the affected cards flagged to prevent them from being used after this erroneous transaction? As I understand things, if a credit card is used out of character then it is blocked until it can be confirmed that said activity was made by the card holder. If they weren't blocked this would imply that it is quite normal for these people to pre-load their cards with 23 quadrillion dollars so as not to carry small change with them.

3. David Kelly 2

Poor Practice

Is very poor practice to freely convert an important value from one format to another and back and forth. This was recognized as poor practice, but common, among FORTRAN programmers 30 years ago.

Have often heard one of the driving forces keeping COBAL alive was a data type where data (money) was kept in BCD. Seems that was easier to understand for management types than fixed point binary integers.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the theory is correct

This is common in program writen in COBOL , when you modified the structured of the fields on the record to make the record more big, so the binhex theory is correct, 0x20 in hex is equal to character 20 in ASCII (nothing) but when you display or print this character the result is 20, so if have 0x200x200x20 the result is 202020 and so on

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Not only was the system robust...

... but the statements had enough column width to print 19 digits, commas, decimal point and a dollar sign.

Truly, that is future proof.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

future proof, I don't think so

It is more likely that the number was displayed incorrectly on the statement but never existed in the actual banking system. This would explain the lack of alarm bells being raised before the customers viewed their statements. It also explains how such an improbably large number existed, it wasn't in the bank's computer system rather it was generated by whatever software tool was being used to display the statement. The software being used to print statements for a small number of customers is also unlikely to have the vigorous testing that a system dealing with actual money has.

It was probably someone incorrectly merging a data set with a bank statement template, the sort of silly error that happens in offices all over the world every day. You can put the pitch forks down, well spotted but there is no need to burn any witches.

P.S. this is just speculation but I am normally right about these things.

7. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Who is Stuart McConnachie?

As far as I can see it was me who suggested the rounding theory in my post "@Visa deserves glitchslapping? # By Anonymous Coward Posted Wednesday 15th July 2009 19:52 GMT".

Has anyone actually seen a repro of one of the affected statements yet, or are we still just relying on press wire stories for the figure, where it might easily have been rounded to a nice multiple-of-100? It would be informative to see if it actually was $23,148,855,308,184,500.00 or really $23,148,855,308,184,535.36 on the actual invoice.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Fraud Security

Come on. Dont they have the systems that can see when you only usually spend £30 on your card. And then all of a sudden you spend £3000 on 30 phones they flag as fraud.

But £23quadrillion i a usual amount....

9. Dan Goodin (Written by Reg staff)

@Who is Stuart McConnachie?

AC, my bad for not inferring your comment correctly. I assure you McConnachie wasn't trying to take credit for the work of others.

As for your question about the statement, the copy that I've seen lists the fee to the very penny, as in $23,148,855,308,184,500.00.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

image of statement

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46063000/jpg/_46063816_bill_226.jpg

I like the $15 penalty, nice touch

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

interest

I wonder what would happen to interest generated on that amount of debt.

12. strangetpwn

Not just a display issue

@Anonymous Coward who is "normally right about these things"

The cards are also being charged a negative balance fee, so it's not just a display issue. The figure was in the banking system and was being deducted from the previous account balance.

13. David S 1

interest already committed

"I wonder what would happen to interest generated on that amount of debt."

It would immediately be required to help service one of the executives' pension funds.

14. Pointer2null

Zimbabwean dollars

I think there is a simpler explanation - they were charged in Zimbabwean dollars.

15. JohnG

$15 penalty

What's good for the goose.... I hope all those given a penalty will return the favour by charging their own penalty to the banks concerned. Of course, it may well be that some people's costs to rectify the errors (time, telephone, postage) are significantly higher than the costs for the bank to send a standard letter....

16. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Typical programmer response

So the AC in the article asserts that it's QA's fault for not finding the bug, typical programmer, using QA as a safety net for shoddy code.

17. Bassey

Fraud

To the couple of posters asking about this not being flagged as fraud or irregular activity, as others have mentioned, this amount almost certainly never existed in any financial system. It's just an error in the way the report was generated. Those fraud detection systems monitor transactions as they come in and look for certain patterns (a common one being several consecutive payments for a small amount - to check a "generated" number is actually an active card).

So no, VISA would not have flagged this up as fraud and blocked the card.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: strangetpwn

No the field that was incorrect was the one that took the account over the limit. This number would be formatted differently to indicate going over the limit. This is why only a small number of accounts showed the absurd number, and why it got through on the nod, as none of the accounts the person mapping the data to the template looked at were over the limit.

As for the not having to pay the "fine" if you phone up and complain the banks normally waver this as there is no law allowing a bank to reinforce a punitive fine anyway.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: That NogginTheNog comment.

I take it that Noggin had never been to Turkey before they revalued the currency then? There was a surreal quality about handing over a 1 million note for a ten minute taxi ride and not expecting change.

Even a fairly modest hotel bill used to require at least two card payments as the PDQ processing systems wouldn't handle the numbers concerned in one swipe. I remember being pleasantly surprised when Mastercard implemented something internally that automagically vapourised the "duplicate" transactions.

Anon, 'cos I expect that a certain Turkish hotel was unpleasantly surprised.

20. Iggle Piggle

@AC Typical programmer response

"So the AC in the article asserts that it's QA's fault for not finding the bug, typical programmer, using QA as a safety net for shoddy code."

Well perhaps in your organisation developers invariably deliver 100% perfect code but in most organisations QA/Testing are indeed a safety net for the developer's (and analyst's) mistakes and they perform a vital function. It seems to me that the test cases performed were obviously not adequate to catch this mistake.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Who is Anonymous Coward?

Who is this Anonymous Coward who posts such brilliant solutions?

Mind you, this same Anonymous Coward also posts a lot of flame bait, retarded posts and the such, so it's definitely a person with a multiple-personality disorder.

Black helicopters will be dispatched to find the true Anonymous Coward soon.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Those with the penalties...

... Had them reversed by their banks once Visa owned up to the problem. One person, quoted on BBC News, had to argue with his bank for 30 minutes before they apologised and reversed the charge.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

@A/C

"Who is this Anonymous Coward who posts such brilliant solutions?"

Simple he's a Programmer, therefore has no social skills and the lacks abilty to reason with anything other than a machine....

24. Stuart Smith 1

@AC Typical programmer response

"So the AC in the article asserts that it's QA's fault for not finding the bug, typical programmer, using QA as a safety net for shoddy code."

Not all of us blame QA... but then again what should organizations expect when they expect code to be completed *yesterday*

True, QA should have picked up on the issue, but so should have the developer. Everyone seems so quick to point the finger at others nowadays. Some bugs just go unnoticed... look at VMWare some months ago when they left an date check statement in an update rendering entire virtualisation environments useless. Even the biggest development houses make mistakes.

Sorry might have got the wrong end of the stick so feel free to flame away. :-)

25. Lionel Baden
    Stop

ohhh yeassshhh

can we have a story on the reg about a story on the reg about the reg

*head implodes

26. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Anyway, it's not really a mistake

They are just testing the code for when these cards are rolled out to the gubmint for uncontrolled deficit spending and the interest will help bail out the banks.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My inner cynic wonders...

... did someone actually make a transaction like those, but via a different method? I'm sure no-one would look too closely, as they'd be concentrating on the ones higher up the list. Nice day for a fraudulent 3M£ transaction I'd say ;)

28. NogginTheNog
    Happy

*Blush*

Wow, for once my ramblings make the news! :-0

An no, sadly I've not been to Turkey (yet!)...

29. Philip Cohen

Visa? PayPal?

Are you sure it's not not PayPal that we are taking about?

30. tony trolle
    WTF?

not just prepaided visa

The main new around here was a cigarette purchase at a Mobil gas station

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/07/15/Man-baffled-by-23-quadrillion-overdraft/UPI-31881247688026/

I like this bit "The Bank of America referred questions about the issue to VISA, which recommended questions be addressed to the bank"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like