back to article Sun shareholders approve Oracle deal

The shareholders that actually own Sun Microsystems - as opposed to the people who used to run it and behaved as if they owned it - approved of the $5.6bn takeover of Sun by software powerhouse and server and storage (not)wannabe Oracle. According to a terse statement from Sun - and the last thing Sun will say as an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now you want ORCL to buy Red Hat?

Geez, this is only about the billionth time that someone has predicted the sale of Red Hat. I suppose that when it finally happens, we will remember the most-proximal predictor at that time. Good luck on this one!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Sunset

So ends the Sun.

3. Admiral Grace Hopper
    Unhappy

Vale

Farewell SUN, I liked your stuff and the way you did things. Much as I would prefer that you don't just become a nameplate on someone else's kit I don't hold out much hope.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will Sun support get any better?

It can't get much worse than it's been this year.

5. cupperty

Solaris not Sun

As long as Oracle don't kill off Solaris (I know they can't really because of OpenSolaris) they can do what they like with the hardware .... grudgingly: the T5xxx boxes are smashing little boxes ...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Oh NO

Does this mean we have to go back to fighting with Intel's Brain-Dead BIOS. No!!!! Say it isn't so!!!!!!!!!

7. Norfolk Enchants Paris
    Go

Merger dicates a new name

My suggestion is a portmanteau as it were, a combination of Sun and Oracle. I call it... Suckle

Yes, I added a K.

The competition is open to all. Blaze away.

8. Paul Tubing
    Thumb Down

The $12 million dollar hit man

Schwartz finally killed Sun.

9. Captain Thyratron

RE: Oh NO

Damn, I love Openboot PROM.

I like IBM's OpenFirmware implementation too, but a bit less, on account of the absence of the 'help' and 'sifting' words--or have they added those on more recent Power gear? I recall their being absent the last time I poked at an RS/6000.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

The death of Sun...is it today or when the deal offically closes?

Either way Sun is dead, gone, history.

Burroughs, Compaq, DEC, Wang, Honeywell, SGI, DataGeneral, Sequent, Amdahl, etc...

There is only one reason Sun died....the executive team. An embarrassment with the Scott top ten lists to the April fools joke with pony tail boy.

I just feel sorry for the people who tried so hard working for the company. That being said we are moving everything to IBM. We trust IBM. We have had enough of Oracle price increases (47% last year), audits then feeling bullied to pay millions more, and finally the Sun gear is a joke compared to the rest of the industry. Would you buy AMD gear if they were selling Pentium III stuff vs. Xeon?

We are moving to Power first then will move to DB2 as they have Oracle compatibility now.

SAP is making it VERY attractive to dump Oracle and Sun completely.

looking for new Mojo

11. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Re: Oh NO

>Does this mean we have to go back to fighting with Intel's Brain-Dead BIOS. No!!!!

>Say it isn't so!!!!!!!!!

You can still try IBM's brain-dead JFS2 (the one which requires almost daily fscks)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC 04:02

God knows what you did to get a 47% price hike, an audit and a demand for more money from Oracle last year. Prices went up, but does anyone but small shops actually pay list prices?

Good luck with SAP. Frying pan and fire spring to mind.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Coat

@Norfolk Enchants Paris

Nah, it will be called Or-Sun, as in Welles or Cart, see what I did there? Horse'n'Cart...ah it's wasted on you lot!

15. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

we dont pay list...but our price still went up 47%

We get a 60% discount for Oracle...but weblogic went up 47% last year and the database products went up 19%....just was we were looking to cut costs Oracle killed us

16. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@AC wrt. JFS2

Don't know what you are doing. JFS2 is pretty much bullet proof provided that you are not running AIX5.1 pre ML6 or AIX 5.2 pre ML3. AIX 5.3 and 6.1 has always worked, at least on the 500+ AIX systems I have had a hand in running since JFS2 came along.

There have been problems, but JFS2 is now pretty stable. Looks like there is a current problem with rolling back snapshots, but otherwise....

Check your ML/TL/SP, if you have not already done so.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like