back to article Airbed-fixing German blows up mattress flat

Some light airbed-fixing DIY ended badly for a Düsseldorf man when he blew up his flat instead of the inflatable mattress he was attempting to fix. According to Spiegel, the 45-year-old patched the leaky bed earlier this week with some "tyre solvent", and left it overnight. The next day, a spark from the mattress's electric …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John 118
    Thumb Down

I.T. Angle?

What a rubbish article, go back to sleep Lester.

2. Trygve Henriksen
    WTF?

Exactly how much solvent?

How much did he use, and how did he apply it?

Did he use a bucket?

3. Marvin the Martian
    Pint

Knowing when to stop

I have patched such matresses with the stuff they include, which is indeed tyre-type glue and a patch. How these tiny tube can cause such a gas buildup seems a mystery or an impossibility to me.

If he bunged an entire gallon vat of glue in there, perhaps, but he should have noticed that this would never plug his hole as it'd take ages for the solvent to be sufficiently removed.

Foamy icon as them bubbles are an explosion of goodness.

4. northern monkey
    Paris Hilton

It could've been worse...

..it could've been an inflatable 'playmate' !

Paris, because I'm sure lots of people would like a go on her inflatables (myself not included!)

5. Steven 1
    FAIL

Title

Icon says is all.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

At John...

...it's in bootnotes i.e not IT related.

Go back to sleep John.....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@John

It was reported to the emergency services, who logged it onto their IT systems... your move..

8. dunncha
    Grenade

Lucky it wasn't in the UK

Or he would be banged up (Banged!! gettit).

I off to check youtube for sure there is going to be a video of this one there.

icon: Suck on this for obvious reasons

9. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

What did he inflate his mattress with?

... Hydrogen????

10. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

How much tyre solvent was he using?

Sounds like it must have been at least a litre! Maybe he left the lid off a big can, or knocked it over and thought "meh, I'll clear that up in the morning". Then leaving it to evaporate overnight and mix nice and evenly with the oxygen would probably do it. Surely he must have smelt it though?

11. eJ2095

So a Note to you all

Do not fix your rubber doll with tyre fix....

12. Jan 7
    Pint

Yes, of course we Germans have an element of crime for this.

Otherwise we wouldn´t be germans, now wouldn´t we?

btw:

There also is an element of crime for causing a nuclear explosion, that would have taught them russians!

Ah well, off to BBQ and beer for me

13. this
    Flame

Terrorism

Presumably this means we wont be able to take any kind of inflatables onto aircraft now.

14. Mothballs
    Alert

No rest for the wicked

Does he plan to li lo for while?

15. Tim Schomer
    Grenade

Explosion blew the wall into the stairwell...

Just how much tyre solvent did he use? If he used enough to make an explosive mixture that powerful I'm surprised it didn't poison him! (or at least give him a serious headache)

16. Graham Marsden
    Joke

Are you sure it was an airbed...

... not another sort of inflatable like a certain Australian was caught stealing...?!

17. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Make up something better

Utter bullshit, go write for a pron mag or something.

18. TeeCee Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Mythbusters.

This one's a given. The raw materials are cheap and it involves blowing things up (in both senses). I look forward to Jamie and Adam doing this one, failing to get the required amount of KABOOM and resorting to finding out what an air mattress full of gunpowder can do in a fit of pique.

As for the veracity, I reckon it's one of those "one in a million" things. Presumably he found the leak while trying to inflate the thing and then patched it. By sheer chance, the amount of air in the partially inflated mattress and the amount of volatile gases from the glue that ended up in there were in exactly the right proportions to produce the greatest effect and......

It's just like turning on the lights in a kitchen with a gas leak. Results range from sod-all to flying house depending on the gas/air mix achieved in the kitchen concerned.

19. Dave Harris
    Coffee/keyboard

@Mothballs

FTW

20. Paul Smith
    Grenade

Darwin award candidate?

Title says it all.

21. Anonymous John
    Grenade

Only Fools and Horses.

Remember the inflatable "dolls" inflated with a highly combustible gas?

22. Kris Sweeney
    Coffee/keyboard

@Mythbusters

'what an air mattress full of gunpowder can do in a fit of pique' - new keyboard please...

23. Colin Barfoot
    Happy

warning

Don't German glues carry the warning, "Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen?"

24. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@Mythbusters... think you may need them yourself.

>"As for the veracity, I reckon it's one of those "one in a million" things. Presumably he found the leak while trying to inflate the thing and then patched it. By sheer chance, the amount of air in the partially inflated mattress and the amount of volatile gases from the glue that ended up in there were in exactly the right proportions to produce the greatest effect and......"

You don't know how explosions work, do you? Fire/Impact/Other initial energy input + Oxidiser + Fuel = Explosion. It's not just a matter of proportions, the actual amount of fuel present determines the size of the explosion because it's the amount of energy present in the chemical bonds between the atoms that is what gets released in an explosion as the fuel is oxidised. That's why they sell matches in every newsagent but not C4 or nukes; so if the only source of fuel is a tiny dab of tyre gunk, that's the most explosive force you're going to get out of it. Or perhaps you're suggesting there was either a partial vacuum or an abnormal overpressure pure oxygen atmosphere in the flat?

>"It's just like turning on the lights in a kitchen with a gas leak. Results range from sod-all to flying house depending on the gas/air mix achieved in the kitchen concerned."

Yes, it's just like that. But when the amount of gas is a thimblefull, you'd have to have a TINY kitchen for the mix to reach explosive proportions. And even then you'd only get a TINY explosion.

So either the guy used a whole bucketload of gunk to fix that one little hole, or we've not got a full and accurate understanding of the details. I think the most likely answer (but not given in any of the reports that I could find) is that it wasn't the patch on the mattress itself that detonated, but that he did something stupid like leaving the lid off the tin overnight and the whole room filled with the fumes. That would account for how a spark from the pump could ignite it without requiring one hell of a coincidence of positioning the pump right up against the mattress exactly near where the hole was. And that *could* produce the kitchen + light switch kind of effect you're envisaging. But the mattress is a red herring.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Darwin Award contestant!

A little unpredictable, but on a scale 1 - 10 he gets a solid 6. Too bad he was not sleeping on it when it blew.

26. Graham Bartlett
    Grenade

I doubt it...

Maybe Der Spiegel reported it, but that doesn't mean it happened. I'll wait for a report from Snopes or UrbanLegends.

27. adam payne

Oh my........

Good one, that cheered me up no end.

28. Dennis 1
    Coat

"The apartment looked devastated"

I'd wager the chap concerned looked more devastated.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

unfair

common unless he was pouring gallons of the stuff all over the place it isnt exactly something any of you wouldnt do ..

or would you really go down the 4 flights to ground floor and work on it outside leave it drying outside over night and then drag all the way back up and then inflate ??

thought not !

lazy bastards

30. Blubster
    Flame

Presumably,

The airbed was made by the same company that produced the Hindenberg

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thought it would be

about inflating it with propane or that horrible 'fix-a-flat' stuff people put in car tires.

32. Neoc
    Stop

So how long...

...before the UK/USA have laws permitting the Police/CIA/TLA to investigate people buying "too much glue"?

33. Adrian Esdaile
    Alert

Ok, so the guy was negligent

'explosion through negligence'

Is it OK to produce an explosion through professionalism? or exploration?

Just wondering.

34. _wtf_

Sounds dodgy

Must have been a lot of glue to give that sort of explosion. Usually when that sort of thing happens around here it is someone trying to brew up some "P". (Pseudoephedrine)

It does remind me of one of my mates when I was a teenager. He decided he wanted a powerful burner, and came up with a setup where a vacuum cleaner blew air through a closed container full of petrol, like an old style surface carburettor. The resulting mixture came out through a nozzle and burnt really well. Until the time he forgot and left the vaccuum cleaner on suck. In those days the motor was not sealed, so the machine filled up nicely and the brushes ignited the mixture. Didn't do the machine any good at all. The insurance company was mystified but paid up... I doubt if they were told the whole story.

35. Forename Surname

Them Redcoats

As an Arrogant American ©, I just had to write in and say that I only read this website for the funny ass Brit comments...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like