back to article Microsoft apes Spotify with ad-stuffed tune streaming

Microsoft is on the verge of mimicking Spotify, the UK-based music streaming service that serves up audio ads alongside free tunes. As reported by The Telegraph, Redmond will have its Spotify-like service "ready" by the end of this month. That's in 16 days. "Music is an important area for Microsoft. We are looking at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sam Crawley
    Thumb Down

Ads every half an hour?

Me smells someone who hasn't used Spotify for a while...

"Hi, this is Robert from Spotify

Hi, this is Ro...

Hi, this is R

Hi

Hi.."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typical Microsoft

Nuff said

3. Rob Moss 1
    Thumb Down

Wait for innovation, copy it

The same old tune

4. RW

I hate myself

Because I've gotten to the point that whenever I read about some new MS initiative (usually playing monkey see, monkey do) my immediate reaction is "how will they get it wrong this time?"

It's like listening to Gordon Brown or any other Labourista yapping about all their wonderful plans for the New Britain and having the instinctive response "more spin and lies."

5. Goat Jam
    FAIL

I smell another Microsoft FAIL in the making

Hopefully people will still recall the fiasco that was the "PlaysForSure" Music Store (or whatever it was called".

This will be yet another attempt by Microsoft to enter a market they don't understand only to discover they can't make money from it and pull the plug on it, leaving whatever number of users they had managed to suck in stranded with yet another pre paid subscription for a service they can no longer access.

It's about time that people started to "Just say NO" to Microsoft.

6. John Parker
    Stop

Not invite only

II've installed Spotify on 3 different machines for friends. In all cases no invite was needed just download and set up a new account.

They must just still be hosting that old invitation page as your providing a direct url to it...?

7. K
    Thumb Down

Not happening

I'm not paying money just to stream music - if they want a subscription, then I want to put that music on any device I like.. until then I'm staying a freetard.

8. nobby
    Thumb Up

@Ads every half an hour?

Well, if you listen to Prog Rock Greats you can extend that out by quite a bit. Throw "Close To The Edge", "Supper's Ready" and "Thick As A Brick" at it and maybe Echoes at it and you can go an a hour and a half between interruptions. Ohh. Let me find 2112 whilst I'm at it.

if you still insist on listening to modern "soundbites" masquerading as music you'll get what you deserve - lots more adverts...

9. Rod MacLean
    Thumb Down

You've got to love Microsoft

They're turning into a "Jack of all trades, master of none".

(Mind you, they started out as a "master of none" who had a lucky break, maybe they think they'll get another one)

I try not to use their software or services unless there really is no better option (and there almost always is)

10. Arnie
    Thumb Down

another way to eek money from live subscribers

surely if its just streaming it should be part of the already expensive gold subscription. Unfortunatly considering you have to pay to have even a fucking theme for a game you've bought its not likely.

11. Alexis Vallance
    Gates Horns

Same old same old

Is there nothing they won't copy?

Think of something new lads. It's pathetic.

12. Toastan Buttar

MS have got their work cut out

It'll take some amount of effort and money to create anything as good as Spotify. Given Spotify's dubious business model, who would actually want to get a piece of the action ?

13. David S
    Gates Horns

Oh boy.

I knew Spotify was too good to last.

Now MS have spotted the market (by following the spoor of others, as usual) they'll move in, take over and then fuck it up. As usual.

Sorry, I'm doing an RW here, but I can't help thinking he's hit the nail on the head.

14. David Black 2
    FAIL

Again, ads every half an hour?

Have to agree with Sam Crawley; Spotify was a genuine treat to listen to, with the *occasional* advert a fair price to pay for it.

Now, I'm back to my generic PC music player. I know that I have a smaller selection of tunes (actually I have loads, but most of the are cr4p) but adverts every 2-3 songs? C'mon.

Looks like a Veep somewhere said, "Well, /why/ can't we make more money by pushing more ads?" And no-one stood up to him/her.

*Sigh*

15. Thomas Bottrill

Zune Marketplace

"According to The Telegraph, Microsoft is in talks with several companies about provides a click-to-buy download option."

Surely Microsoft would do better to open Zune Marketplace in the UK and use that as its download service?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@I hate myself

You ask "how will they get it wrong this time?" Well rumor has it, that in order to promote their groundbreaking and unique software, Songsmith, all content will get a Songsmith treatment before you hear it. That will get the punters in in their droves methinks.

Also, all your browsers will have their default search setting locked down to Zing when you install the MS client.

17. Rob Crawford

Zune?

If the Zune had been available in the UK I would have purchased one, after trying out a friends Zune I was actually impressed with it compared with the Apple products.

But as usual MS have stuffed it up.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

No1 prediction

My prediction for number one on the MS service is the Irvin Berlin classic from the musical "Annie get your gun", "Anything you can do".

Anything you can do,

I can do better.

I can do anything

Better than you.

No, you can't.

Yes, I can. No, you can't.

Yes, I can. No, you can't.

Yes, I can,

Yes, I can!

Anything you can be

I can be greater.

Sooner or later,

I'm greater than you.

No, you're not. Yes, I am.

No, you're not. Yes, I am.

No, you're NOT!. Yes, I am.

Yes, I am!

Yes, I can. (Higher) No, you can't. (Higher)

Yes, I CAN! (Highest)

No, you can't.

Yes, I can No, you can't.

Yes, I can No, you can't.

Yes, I can

Yes, I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I No, you C-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-N'T--

CA-A-A-A-N! (Cough, cough!)

Yes, you ca-a-a-an!

19. Bilgepipe

Gasp

Microsoft in Copying Someone Else Shocker

They haven't had an original thought in that place since Microsoft Bob. Have they thought about not namedropping their competitors when announcing things they've blatantly copied?

*Looks for photocopier icon*

20. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Wow, another unique product by Microsoft...

their ability to innovate is amazing.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like