back to article MPs shown 'email evidence' of wider NotW snooping

A committee of MPs was presented evidence on Tuesday that several News of the World journalists were involved in illegal mobile phone hacks, piling further pressure on News International which maintains that only one rogue reporter was involved. Appearing before the Commons committee on culture, media and sport, Guardian …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. EnricoSuarve
    Badgers

Odd Priorities

As far as I am aware it was also uncovered that the NoTW gossip gang were also gaining illegal access to peoples bank accounts, DVLA records, tax records and police records (to name a few)

Since these are a lot more serious and a few of which carry very specific criminal penalties of their own, my question is obviously "why all the fuss about a few voicemails?"

Seriously - it seems an example of very odd priorities when 'hacking' a voicemail, which lets face it usually just involves knowing a 4 digit pin is taken more seriously than gaining illegal access to police files

Or is it just me and recordings of "I'm stuck in traffic back in 30 - bye" *are* more important, why did no one tell me? I'd have rehearsed my last few message better

2. MinionZero
    Big Brother

These ignorant arragant MPs are so out of touch...

The shear scale of hypocrisy of the MPs is incredible. They are creating a relentless police state to monitor all of us, yet if anyone monitors them, then they go nuts!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

new word, first use

"Redacted" ... fortunately and quite recently we all know what that means now, well done for using that word in a sentence that does not involve another word 'expenses'

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ EnricoSuarve

Good points.

I'm guessing the voicemail is being highlighted because the NotW would have hoped they'd get a juicy bit of gossip from one sleb or another along the lines of who's shagging who and how often and what flavour dildo was inserted where.

5. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face

Dog Bites Man

Journalists behave unethically? Strewth!

Agree with Enrico (above) and I think that the main reason this is becoming a story is more to do with a Guardian / BBC / Labour Party attempt to smear Cameron's advisor (who at the time resigned over the matter in his position as editor of the 'Screws) in revenge for the Damian McBride episode.

For the politicians involved I'm guessing that their mobiles were paid for out of parliamentary expenses anyway. Which kind of makes them "our" voicemail messages, no?

6. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

@ EnricoSuarve

Your question echos one posed by El Reg as well.

A possible answer may be the matter of proof. I have a feeling the Guardian went public with what it could prove so any possible court case based denial would result in a black eye for NotW and even more publicity.

Once they have published this evidence it's just a matter of following Mr Plod who has to start digging into what appears to be quite a few crimes, and dutifully report what else has been going on. Much cheaper than paying someone for more data, and Mr Plod can go legally where the Guardian would have to resort to potentially questionable tactics as well, and I don't think they would (or at least in this case - no idea otherwise).

IMHO that would be a smart and simple strategy, and inflict maximum damage as they report proof after proof..

7. RW

Redacted? Or censored?

One naturally expects private information to be blacked out, but the right word is censor, not redact.

8. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Megaphone

An old Aussie raz to Murdoch and his ilk

" Suffer in ya jocks! "

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like