back to article CRB drops fees ahead of expected vetting surge

The Criminal Records Bureau has dropped its fees ahead of an expected massive increase in business come October. The government's Vetting and Barring Scheme kicks in this October, bringing an end to the disparate collection of lists of adults who are banned from working with children or other vulnerable children. The scheme …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bad news if you're a Londoner

http://www.crb.gov.uk/services/crb_performance/police_performance.aspx

Most recent figures show the Met are getting only 11% of enhanced checks back within 60 days. Anecdotally, 4 months is common and has been since last summer at least. Hopefully they will spend some of the extra cash improving that.

2. Christoph
    Flame

That must be a good thing then

If it wasn't for this check then 98,000 people would have been attacking children in this country!

It must be true, the government says so.

3. Ben Tasker
    WTF?

WTF?

How does creating an online form improve accuracy? Yes it may speed the process up, but aside from issues with handwriting (and you are supposed to use block caps) what inaccuracies could there be on a paper form that are excluded from an electronic one simply through the benefits of the medium?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Prevented 18,000 from working with kids

Has no one done an analysis of the reasons for the CRB checks to fail? My guess is that 99.9999% of the 18,000 are because the person had a criminal record for violence, most likely at some distant point in their youth and totally unrelated to children. I doubt that the CRB checks have stopped any paedophiles as they would not be so stupid to apply for such jobs if they had a record. And anyway, CRB checks don't stop undiscovered paedophiles.

5. The Metal Cod
    Thumb Down

There's nothing anecdotal about 4 months

My girlfriend had to wait 4 months for her CRB check to be completed after getting a job in the Midlands NHS.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Improved Accuracy

Given that they're playing with people's lives and careers you'd hope that they already had 100% accuracy...

A pipe dream, I know.

Bit of a bugger if you've already been screwed over by them.

7. Gordon Ross Silver badge
    FAIL

What about the voluntry rate ?

"This may assuage some of the unease about the cost to organisations, particularly voluntary ones, that will have to stump up for checks"

But volunteers only pay £6 for a CRB check, so why is the voluntary sector so upset ?

FAIL: 'Cause I've had to get a CRB check, even though I don't work with children or vulnerable adults.

8. Neoc

4+ months?

Bloody heck. I worked on a similar system for the cops down here in Oz (called Blue Card) and we were annoyed because the best turn-around we could manage was 36 hours due to batch processing between jurisdictions (both local and federal).

And the local Fingerprint system is supposed to run a check in a median time of 15 minutes.

What the heck are you IT guys down up in the UK?

9. kiddiefiddler

ffs

oh great,

another fucking oppertunity for me to be rejected due to unsubstantiated allegations with enhanced CRB. last job i applied for was a warehouse loader "enhanced CRB required"...

This topic is closed for new posts.